All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to buy a planter.

foggy

5 year old buck +
I'm thinking it's time for me to buy a 3 point planter to use with my 3320 tractor. Here are my thoughts on what to do. I need to get into timbered areas that are somewhat tight. I may plant as much as 5 to 6 acres of plots. Im thinking two rows. My tractor tires are 60" wide. So I'm thinking of using a (JD) unit planters on 24" centers. (i.e.: 12" / 24" / 12" ) Right?

Do most guys run the dry fertilizer units? I'd think it would save some money? Any other advice?

Thanks Mo. Was wondering if fertilizer attachment is worth the money to get it put down right in the row on such small volumes? Is the "71" the planter of choice on these small units? I get the 30" row idea.....good with that thinking. Probably plant corn....then beans between the rows. If all is RR....then should be easy to care for.

I see these quite often....just didn't know I was gonna be in the market for one.

Something like this might even work for you but 3pt would nicer.

OK Thanks guys. I see some remanufactured JD 71 planters out in ND. Gonna call him tomorrow. Seen a guy was making lots of these in the Wilmar area.....he just doesn't have any adds this time of year.

Did a lttile reading. I'm pretty sure I'm staying with a JD 71 planter for my needs. They are simple and very good units from all I read. I see lots of 7000 series planters out there.....but they appear pretty heavy and much more complex than I want to deal with.

Something like this might even work for you but 3pt would nicer.
Yep. I got a tractor.....so I'm staying with a mounted planter. Thanks rigs!

Foggy, do not jump the gun and pull the trigger on a planter at the high prices these guys are asking for them yet! You can always buy one of these, they are everywhere at $1,500. Just keep looking and try and get one of these 71's or maybe even a 2 row 7000 planter for under a thousand. Saving money makes this stuff more fun! There is a guy by Blackduck MN that has them all the time If needed! Keep Looking!
Roger that. I have seen a few #71 two row planters for about $850 or so. But that was a few years ago.

I would look for a quality JD Flexi71 planter with fertilizer hoppers if you can find them. Having the dry fertilizer hopper wood be a plus but if you are only doing a couple acres of corn or sugar beets not a huge deal.

This year on my sandy soil I did a split application of fertilizer for my corn, 80 lbs of actual N disked in at planting and then an additional 80 lbs of N broadcast on the ground when the plants were 10” tall. Luckily we had good rain last year as timing rain for the second application is tuff for an absentee owner. This double application worked well for me as my corn turned out good.

These planters fit on a dolly which makes hookup easy and with the seed plate and gearing are easy to figure out. Once setup these planters space seeds where you want and help your yield. I have my planter setup with 18” spacing.

That ATV planter on craigslist looks awesome, especially for 500 bucks! How long would you expect it to take you to plant an acre of corn with a 2 row planter like that? I've looked at getting a tractor, but break the ground up with the Antler King Sodbuster, then come back and use this planter for corn and beans. Pretty cheap compared to dropping 20 G's on a tractor.

I use an old school ford 309 plate planter. Used it for a few years now. It isn't pretty but gets the job done. Bought it, bucket full of plates and the original manual for $50! I set it at 30" rows and run corn or beans and have even ran corn in one hopper and beans in the other before - that didn't work out as well as the beans where crowded, but the deer didn't care.

If for some reason someone else out there uses a 309 and has questions or needs plate#, manual details or even some plates let me know. I have plastic and steel plates as well as plastic blanks for making your own.

OK Thanks guys. I see some remanufactured JD 71 planters out in ND. Gonna call him tomorrow. Seen a guy was making lots of these in the Wilmar area.....he just doesn't have any adds this time of year.

Did a lttile reading. I'm pretty sure I'm staying with a JD 71 planter for my needs. They are simple and very good units from all I read. I see lots of 7000 series planters out there.....but they appear pretty heavy and much more complex than I want to deal with.

Dont be afraid of the 7000 planter. Your tractor will handle that just fine. If you have 60" tires then you want to be on 30" rows. You will always drive one of your tires between the 2 rows you just did. I believe most of these things come with the population already set for you as they do not have a transmission on them. 7000 will not be complex at all. I have just a little bit of knowledge when it comes to seed and fertilizer if you need some help. I grow about 200 acres of corn every year. You also need to be very careful when you are applying round up if you are gonna go that direction. I will have lots of advice for you when you need it.

I *think* an air seeder would require hydraulics that hooks up to some kind of fan that provides the pressure for the air system.