How much are you willing to spend for fertilizer on your plots this year?

How much are you willing to spend for fertilizer this year?

• $ 0....not a dime.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • $50 to $200

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • $200 to $500

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • $500 to $1000

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • $1000 or more....whatever it takes.

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
I have to change my answer. I do plan to buy one bag of alfalfa feed pellets and a bale of straw this year. I've gotta build some new garden bed space quickly, and before I get heavy equipment back out there. I've got stuff I need to get in the ground early, so I'm gonna have to build a quick and dirty shallow bed. I'll get the saw out this weekend and get the logs and brush ready, so once the snow is gone and my topsoil pile is thawed, I can get it going.

I have to change my answer. I do plan to buy one bag of alfalfa feed pellets and a bale of straw this year. I've gotta build some new garden bed space quickly, and before I get heavy equipment back out there. I've got stuff I need to get in the ground early, so I'm gonna have to build a quick and dirty shallow bed. I'll get the saw out this weekend and get the logs and brush ready, so once the snow is gone and my topsoil pile is thawed, I can get it going.
Permission denied! Buying straw is blasphemy to a dedicated greenie such as you. Grin.

I did see a neat solar system set up for some parking lot lights at an event festival today......and thought of you. This place must have had a dozen of these scattered about to light the parking area and grounds at a small lake in the desert....that they use for an event center (weddings and entertainment).

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 20
Wild thing,

These spots are open and easy to make for more food plot areas. There's spots that the soil is better, but need time to prepare it. Easy hit, but needs amendments. Blueberry definitely loves low pH. Might take a few home before stir up some soil.

Wife wants a vacation, but might not be able to take time off. If she doesn't go, I got a few days of play time at camp.

My answer was 50-200. Won't fertilize, till, or lime any of my plots except the largest which is 1.5 ac. It adjoins our 14 ac ag field so I'll have the co-op spread dry fert right thru it. I'll still spray and mow the plots. Seems to be working well and I guess my mentality is still if ain't broke don't fix it.

Permission denied! Buying straw is blasphemy to a dedicated greenie such as you. Grin.

I did see a neat solar system set up for some parking lot lights at an event festival today......and thought of you. This place must have had a dozen of these scattered about to light the parking area and grounds at a small lake in the desert....that they use for an event center (weddings and entertainment).
I would go out and gather up my own carbon normally, but once that time arrives, I'd be covered in ticks something awful. I'll fling a $10 bill for some convenience.

That solar rig there is a good example of wise use of the mode.

5 years ago, I bought a box of 10gr Agriform Pellets. I think it was 1000 of the 20-10-5. Pretty sure I'll be out after this weekend with pine, blue spruce, poplar, and wild apple plantings.

where's a good place to get more? What one you recommend. Just about 100% small 1-2ft tall bareroots of the above plants. Sometimes I use tablets on red dogwood. Been doing 1 to 3 tablets per bareroot.

I would go out and gather up my own carbon normally, but once that time arrives, I'd be covered in ticks something awful. I'll fling a $10 bill for some convenience.

Aren’t those ticks a source of carbon? ;)

I have been trying to get some box elders cleaned up around this old farm before leaf out and before tick season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered a new battery box and battery today for my battery powered boat hoist. Last year I had two batteries blow up at two different times on both of my boat lifts. Hydrogen bombs. Put one charge limiting device on the first one......and never remembered to add the other one. Powerful explosions both times. Blew the battery top off both times.....and splintered the boxes. I'm lucky I didn't get a face full of acid on the second one. The box did it's job.....but was destroyed in the process. This was my first and second experience ever with a blow up battery.

The folks that sell these solar set-ups still do not include a charge limiting device with the purchase.....but rather you must purchase it as an option (for $180). <-----those Clowns should be sued.....most folks do not understand this system well enough to know the difference. I paid FF $39 for a similar product.

Just ordered a new battery box and battery today for my battery powered boat hoist. Last year I had two batteries blow up at two different times on both of my boat lifts. Hydrogen bombs. Put one charge limiting device on the first one......and never remembered to add the other one. Powerful explosions both times. Blew the battery top off both times.....and splintered the boxes. I'm lucky I didn't get a face full of acid on the second one. The box did it's job.....but was destroyed in the process. This was my first and second experience ever with a blow up battery.

The folks that sell these solar set-ups still do not include a charge limiting device with the purchase.....but rather you must purchase it as an option (for $180). <-----those Clowns should be sued.....most folks do not understand this system well enough to know the difference. I paid FF $39 for a similar product.
Solar is a gentlemen's technology. It comes with high expectations of understanding. Grid technology is geared towards a different readiness level.

1650640207765.jpeg

I have been trying to get some box elders cleaned up around this old farm before leaf out and before tick season.

I got some big'uns out by the road that need to go too. Not ready to tackle that project.

3F1754DF-CDAC-473B-B9BA-61B6A65418AA.jpeg

This wheat field Around the pond, I use for doves. The wheat field on top the far hill I will plant to millet in a few weeks. 100 lbs 46-0-0 per acre in the wheat around the pond. None on the wheat on top the hill. The seed heads are twice the size around the pond compared to the hill top. Five hundred lbs 46-0-0 was $300

On fertilizer for plots? not a dime. I did buy 2 bags of triple 8 for all of my trees and I will be getting 5-10 tons of lime for my plots. I started TnM about a year ago, we'll see how no fertilizer applied this time around goes. Might be in for a rude awakening. Lol

On fertilizer for plots? not a dime. I did buy 2 bags of triple 8 for all of my trees and I will be getting 5-10 tons of lime for my plots. I started TnM about a year ago, we'll see how no fertilizer applied this time around goes. Might be in for a rude awakening. Lol

Only your Soil Test Lab knows for sure. LOL. It took 6 years of no-till and cover cropping before my nutrient levels got to the point where I don't need fertilizers. You may not be quite ready yet to eliminate it completely.

Last edited:

Or you may not!

Gets better every year that you practice

bill

Some of the more successful farmers that I know.....have a stake in poultry or hog operations.....and have a very limited need for nitrogen. I sure wish I had started down the no-till path a few more years ago.....and I wish there was some sources for manure in the forest lands of Northern MN. I sure would like to get some poultry litter. Like most things......I gotta learn it the hard way. Grin.

Only your Soil Test Lab knows for sure. LOL. It took 6 years of no-till and cover cropping before my nutrient levels got to the point where I don't need fertilizers. You may not be quite ready yet to eliminate it completely.
I only put 3 bags of triple 13 on of the plots that is well over 2 acres and it grew well for that small amount I applied. Those long lanes are hard to guess at in acreage, could be pushing 3.

Say a guy has 8 laying hens crappin in the coop all winter.. any value to repurposing a winters worth of crap filled straw?

Solar controller made easy and reliable........ Use a LM7815. Regulates voltage down to 15 volts. Then put a decent sized power diode on it. The drop around the diode is .6-.7 volts. Leaves the battery at 14.3-14.4. Got this on a 10 watt charger at camp. Also, if you can get a battery you can add water to. Not only your charging, the battery is in the hot elements.

That deep cycle battery at camp is 9 years old ang going strong. Have several LED lights to light up the entire 24x24 cabin.

Say a guy has 8 laying hens crappin in the coop all winter.. any value to repurposing a winters worth of crap filled straw?
I've spread chicken bedding back when we had birds. I don't recommend hauling it in the back of a pickup, both for your sake and those traveling behind. It did show some benefit, but not enough to make it worthwhile for me. If I had a drill I'd be more tempted to compost it and run it through with my seeds.

They aren’t out in full force yet, but I picked a few off of me already this year. It won’t be long! I have a bunch of planting to do in the next 10 days, permethrin will be worn from now on.

I still have a few trees that need to come down as well, and a few more that need to be cleaned up. I am hoping I can knock a bunch of that out this weekend.