How long you've owned your hunting land

If you own yours, how long have you had your hunting land

• Total voters
Not sure about the gift tax. I'll need to check into that one. My MIL's 150 acres belonged to her late 2nd husband. He left her the house and the land, on which she raised her 4 kids alone. So, the land has much sentimental value to her and I think she didn't really care to see turned up sod and rocks. I tried to explain that any plots I put in would look nice…but it was always a NO GO.

Unless the MIL's net worth is over $5 million you shouldn't have to pay any tax but she still may be legally required to file a gift tax return.

I'm at 15 year on the one I have owned the longest . Will get a portion of inlaws farm at some point . Best investment I have ever made. Always looking for greener pastures but extremely content with what I have . I have 3 kids 11 and younger so I will probably have to wait a bit before I add any more unless I'm in the right place at the right time which for me doesn't happen very often for me!!!!

I voted 15 to 20, but we have not had true legal ownership of it for that long. It was in an estate trust for roughly half of that time. I couldn't do much with it until we got that taken care of - I have had control of it for between 5 to 10 years.

I bought my 80 acres in December 2012. Very happy with it.

160 acres has been in the family since 1879.

Bought mine in 07 as the economy was disintegrating. I think I paid full price for it.....and would do it sooner if I would have it to do over. I enjoy time spent on projects at my land.....or just hanging out there some days.

This land means I will always have some place to go and something to do. :) .....and you have a lifetime to finish it.

Bought in central MN in 2008 after hunting well above average turf worldwide for over a decade. Planted some plots and beat my head against the wall in 2009, 2010 and then went to work on the habitat.

Incremental increases every year since.

Gonna slap my tag on a 3.5 or bigger in an area that has seen a 50+% reduction of the deer herd.

First book I read was Doughertys 'Grow em Right', as recommended on a similar forum. Learned a lot but much of the info went right over my head. Been rereading and a lot more lights coming on.

Realize now that until you know you are not doing it right it won't get better.

Since Decmber 99
Part owner in 703 acres

Owned this piece since May of '12, owned the piece before this from '95 til April '12.

My guess is you learned a lot from '95 to '12. Does it make the picture and path clearer for the new piece? I am guessing the 2nd rodeo goes smoother than the first?

Bought mine in the fall of 08 and haven't stopped working on it. I don't think I'll ever be "done" with it as there will always be something I will want to tweak or add or remove. My adhd will see to that. I started with 40 acres of ag and 40 acres of woods/swamp and have whittled the ag down to 15 acres and put the rest into improvements.

I'm really suprised at the results so far. I would have thought the 15+ years would have been a higher number.

Unless the MIL's net worth is over $5 million you shouldn't have to pay any tax but she still may be legally required to file a gift tax return.

Thanks West Branch.

Nice! That's a big chunk! Your in Mo too aren't you?
Yes
Crawford. Co mo
No crop ground around us just thousands of acres of big timber.
My son and I hunt a lot in Linn/ Macon co