How long will winter rye and clover seed last in the dirt before its no good

biglakeba$$

5 year old buck +
I planted 11 days ago. We got .2 inches of rain the day after and none since.

I checked the plots Saturday and there is some germinating, but a ton laying on the surface with nothing happening yet.

I broadcasted clover and rye together and cultipacked it all. Looks like rain chances are spotty at best for a couple days with maybe some this weekend. I sure hope I didnt lose again. thats the 3rd time I have planted these plots this year.

Here is a zoom of how much is not germinating yet.

upload_2015-8-31_16-9-50.png

I took several pictures of sloughs on our place and around us. I will post them later. My small jump shoot ponds are gone or will be done by duck opener.

I've had rye seed sit on top of my dry sand for 3+ weeks before any rain fell. Field still filled in nicely over time.

Yup, happen more years than not on our old place. 3+ weeks is not unheard of at all.

Very good to hear.

Not a turkey on cam for a couple months now. Safe there

Have had clover fields and rue that were planted in the fall and received ZERO rain until the next spring. It germinate the next spring surprisingly fine.

Funny..... I thought about this topic yesterday as I saw the forecast. Not the rain I needed, but got .15 tonight. Rye that is sprouted is browning on the top of the chutes earlier today.

Not a turkey on cam for a couple months now. Safe there
Well, you have had at least some good luck.
I have not seen a turkey on my place in months and no pullets this year, but there is at least one hatch of pheasants that fly around in front of my house.

Have had clover fields and rue that were planted in the fall and received ZERO rain until the next spring. It germinate the next spring surprisingly fine.
U plot in the dessert? 0 rain for an entire season?
Clover is a weed, I treat it as such

Don't' plant in a dessert...but it felt one a few years ago. We got zero rain from Early August until the next spring. Thank god that doesn't happen very often!