How high does a blockaid need to be?

I'm confused. The loggers will be driving around the perimeter creating what ends up to be a "walking" trail. Could it not be included in the contract to make this trail, at least on the north end, suitable for atv/small tractor traffic? I apologize if I'm missing something here.

Your soil situation is 100% the opposite of what I deal with. Heck I just drive my ATV through the woods and avoid the large trees and bingo, I have a trail ;).

They have to log in the winter during a hard freeze. Water table varies from 3" to 2' or maybe down to 3-4' during droughts. Hard to build a trail during a hard freeze.

I think he would almost have to haul fill in there to "make" a road that would be accessible to anything other than foot traffic in any months other than July and August.

Unfortunately, I anticipate lots of "can't get into my foodplots to do anything" threads from you in the future

You worry too much Stu. ;) I used to let this bother me and it kept me up at night. I've learned to just be patient and understand the limitations of my land and deal with it.

With a proper ditched trail as I have and only planning on plotting in July I will be just fine. I've been plotting here for 3 years now and I've found out what I can and can't get away with.

I think he would almost have to haul fill in there to "make" a road that would be accessible to anything other than foot traffic anytime.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks Brad! ;):D

So you have properly ditched trails to all of the plots already? What's the total acreage of the plots?

That is why I'm using the center trail. I need to do a little bit more but the infrastructure is already there.

Go back to this thread.

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...be-the-best-thing-to-plant-on-my-trails.2304/

Look what I started with and now have at the end of the thread.

Ya, I remember that thread. That will get you to the plot connected to the center trail (N end), correct? How do you get to the plots to the west and east of that one?

The NE plot already has a trail going to it from the cabin. It will need just a little bit of work but its not rutted. Just needs a bigger ditch. That is a very short stretch.

The SE plot I will connect into that short stretch from the plot access trail to that finger that runs to the north. Again, a very short stretch.

The NW plot is already there as the center plot is existing and I can get there no problem.

The only plot I don't know yet is the north middle plot. I have some ideas but still need to figure something out for that one.

Did u actually pay money for this? It looks like my nephew scribbled on a piece of paper.
Ahh-trails with pockets of bedding and food plots. Oh-hunt the property edge. What did he charge for this seriously?

Thank you for your consideration.

The only plot I don't know yet is the north middle plot. I have some ideas but still need to figure something out for that one.
When you have a dozer in there making the blockade, you could have the access to that center/north plot run straight north right up one side or the other of the blockade and kill 2 birds while the equipment was there already. Or is the area between the center trail and the north plot in that area one of the really, really low spots that would require fill in addition to the ditching?

When you have a dozer in there making the blockade, you could have the access to that center/north plot run straight north right up one side or the other of the blockade and kill 2 birds while the equipment was there already. Or is the area between the center trail and the north plot in that area one of the really, really low spots that would require fill in addition to the ditching?

That may be an option I would have to look at it. It might be fairly wet hitting a lot of that hemlock ribbon.

Right now I was thinking about just making that sidewalk that connects the existing plot and the new middle plot a fancy sidewalk. Or make a trail access between those two plots and then and block it off with fence and then put a sidewalk parallel to it. That would be the shortest strip.

I like your second option, and I don't even know if I would bother blockading that trail? It might be such a short stretch that it won't make a difference if they use the access road or the sidewalk to access the plot at that point? Just widen the sidewalk to allow tractor access and be done with it, especially given the stand location out toward the center of that plot. Those deer will be coming to the scent post before they are in bow range anyway, correct?

I like your second option, and I don't even know if I would bother blockading that trail? It might be such a short stretch that it won't make a difference if they use the access road or the sidewalk to access the plot at that point? Just widen the sidewalk to allow tractor access and be done with it, especially given the stand location out toward the center of that plot. Those deer will be coming to the scent post before they are in bow range anyway, correct?

Yeah I agree.

No that would be a South, South west, or West wind stand. So they could be anywhere in that plot and not be downwind of me. (If I am understanding your question correct).

I was just saying that the deer would likely have to be somewhere near the scent post to be in bow range. I don't think you will be shooting all the way across or to the east or west ends due to the size of the plot, or is it going to be smaller than it looks on the map?

I was just saying that the deer would likely have to be somewhere near the scent post to be in bow range. I don't think you will be shooting all the way across or to the east or west ends due to the size of the plot, or is it going to be smaller than it looks on the map?

Oh yeah. They would come to the pinch point in the center of the plot to be in bow range.

So in that particular case, it wouldn't matter if the deer entered the west end of that plot on a 2' wide sidewalk or an 8' wide tractor access road. The pinch point in the plot and the scent post is what will dictate their movement past your stand location. That's what I was getting at. You'll likely have no need to direct there movements between the larger plot in the NW corner and the west entrance to the center plot down to something as narrow as a sidewalk, I just don't think it will matter in the big picture at that location.

i keep her busy working;)
Seriously how much was that? I'm the only one who things that's looks like a 3 year old drawing a Christmas tree.
It must not have been too informative if he has to keep coming on here asking for us to help him.
I'm not cutting u bj, u seem like a real nice guy. I hope u don't take any offense.

Why should he tell you anything on the cost? Your on people on this forum if they don't split 2 ply toilet paper the way you do before using it!

What should the drawing look like? Its not meant to be a plan to a 50 story sky scraper. WTF!

Let him ask is questions Dip! I have seen many a blueprint that needs a little tweeking sometimes. No big deal to any of the rest of us.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's also get one thing straight mo. I really don't appreciate the shots about my wife. That's below the belt. U can defend your man crush for Steve, but leave my personal relationships out of it. I could say some things in response to wives, but like I said that's below the belt.