How high does a blockaid need to be?

Here is what you will not be able to combat regardless of what you do if you do not extend the blockade all the way to the farthest extent possible, and it must be at least an 8' fence to be effective. See the red line coming from the southeast corner of your property, what is to stop them from just walking up the first sidewalk and getting on the road until they get to the fence and then walking around at the shortest point only to head right back to the road and straight to the west end of your property, right through the middle where you don't want them to go? Or the purple line coming from the thermal bedding, what is keeping them from walking up the sidewalk until they hit the road and then again turning west up the middle of the property? Maybe you need to keep the areas adjacent to that road as open and undesirable as possible so they do not feel safe on that road and they feel safer on the narrower sidewalks?

View attachment 6423

There is nothing stopping them from doing that other than the guy hunting the SE plot is going to shoot more deer in that case. :D

Perhaps looking at Wisc's map I should just leave the trail open and let them do what they want there. If they are on my property in the center they eventually will come out to feed in the exterior plots.

What are all the light green circles on the map?

Perhaps looking at Wisc's map I should just leave the trail open and let them do what they want there. If they are on my property in the center they eventually will come out to feed in the exterior plots.

That would be my choice, as they will do what they want anyways!

Yep, you just have to make sure your access doesn't have the attractive qualities of the sidewalks. I think I'd want it as open as possible along your access...like 30' open on both sides with nothing but grass growing.

A 5' jump to a deer is like a 5" jump to me. I've watched deer come from a neighboring property and cross onto mine a number of times. They are going up a steep incline about 30', then jumping 3 strands of barb wire. I'm 6'4"...when I stand where they begin their jump my head is even with the bottom strand of wire.

The access around the perimeter of the property will be a logging machine wide with edge feather along the entire way.

What are all the light green circles on the map?

Hinge cut bedding areas.

You could always do what our neighbors did, just tear @$$ up and down that access road with the AVT every chance you get and the deer will see it as a place they do not want to be? ;)It "worked" for my neighbors(me) by forcing the deer toward the edge of our place because they would not stand for the constant ruckus in the center of his property.:eek:

I was thinking the same thing as stu suggested, 30' either side of that road would have to be a desolate wasteland to ensure they wouldn't use it, and then they would likely still use it if there was minimal disturbance in the adjacent areas.

So do you guys think it pays to block that trail and make it a little bit more difficult to cross there or just leave it alone?

I would've abandoned that trail down the center of the property and let the brush fill it in. At the same time make an access trail north from your homestead to the NE plot. Then W from that plot to the N plot. Then W and SW to the other plots. Not only would it give you access to all those plots but you would have a perimeter/near perimeter access trail while eliminating that one running right down the center.

....qualifier.... I may not have any idea what the heck I'm talking about o_O

You could always do what our neighbors did, just tear @$$ up and down that access road with the AVT every chance you get and the deer will see it as a place they do not want to be? ;)It "worked" for my neighbors(me) by forcing the deer toward the edge of our place because they would not stand for the constant ruckus in the center of his property.:eek:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm yeah..................

510.gif

I would've abandoned that trail down the center of the property and let the brush fill it in. At the same time make an access trail north from your homestead to the NE plot. Then W from that plot to the N plot. Then W and SW to the other plots. Not only would it give you access to all those plots but you would have a perimeter/near perimeter access trail while eliminating that one running right down the center.

....qualifier.... I may not have any idea what the heck I'm talking about o_O

It sounds good in theory. We would be talking a ton and I mean a ton of dozer work to improve those new trails with big ditches and crowning with my soils. My main trail down the center is already equipment access set up ditched and ready to go.

I'd tend to agree. I'm not sure why you need that center trail? Why not just access with your equipment from the N? I'd use the N perimeter trail as my access trail for the plots on the N side.

If I didn't have this sewer clay I would be doing that in a heart beat.

Maybe the best thing would be to have a dozer come in after logging and pile a row of downed tops and snags all the way along the length of that blockade and then promote the growth of the nastiest briar/berry canes that you can find to keep them from wanting to cross it? At that point, a small 8' fence section over the road would suffice.

I guess it doesn't mean someday I would not do it. But I will be having a ton of dozer work being done with de stumping the new plots. Building that new road would be a serious project.

Maybe the best thing would be to have a dozer come in after logging and pile a row of downed tops and snags all the way along the length of that blockade and then promote the growth of the nastiest briar/berry canes that you can find to keep them from wanting to cross it?

Well the idea was that the perimeter blockades to allow me access I was going to have them do that since they are going to take the logging machine all the way around the perimeter and creating that trail. But I was only thinking walking access at this point.

I guess it doesn't mean someday I would not do it. But I will be having a ton of dozer work being done with de stumping the new plots. Building that new road would be a serious project.
Use the dozer and stumps to make that blockade! You should have more than enough downed trash to do all of that.

Use the dozer and stumps to make that blockade!
Oh you mean when he does the plots. yeah. Good idea.

He will be using the stumps and brush to edge feather the plots as well as shown on the map.

I'm assuming your new plots are the highest spots on your place?
If you mean that 8" to 12" is "higher"! :eek:LOL

I'm assuming your new plots are the highest spots on your place?

That's complicated. LOL. Actually it comes down to how well the soils are drained as opposed to topography.

Believe it or not, my land is at the high point. I don't even have a culvert for my driveway at the road. But the topography is so flat the water doesn't run anywhere. It sits in the low spots.

I'm pretty much a fall planting only type of guy. Pretty much can't do any spring planting.

Well the idea was that the perimeter blockades to allow me access I was going to have them do that since they are going to take the logging machine all the way around the perimeter and creating that trail. But I was only thinking walking access at this point.
I'm confused. The loggers will be driving around the perimeter creating what ends up to be a "walking" trail. Could it not be included in the contract to make this trail, at least on the north end, suitable for atv/small tractor traffic? I apologize if I'm missing something here.

Your soil situation is 100% the opposite of what I deal with. Heck I just drive my ATV through the woods and avoid the large trees and bingo, I have a trail ;).