How do you store your acorns/chestnuts?

scott44

5 year old buck +
I finally put away all my acorns and chestnuts today. They have been in the fridge in ziplock bags but no peat moss. I mixed some damp peat moss with the acorns and put them in new labeled bags and back in the fridge. How does everyone else store them over the winter?

before

after

I stored my DCO acorns in ziplock bags with a damp paper towel last winter. Chestnuts I stored dry in ziplock bags, delayed germination a bit, but I eventually got 95% of them to germinate.

I stored chestnuts in peat moss last winter an they got moldy. This yr I am doing what turkey creek described above with a damp paper towel. This will be done with burrs , chestnuts an chinkapin

Last edited:
Good stuff Scott - those SWO look nice. ;)

I use damp peat in ziploc - seems to work ok. I watch for mold reguarly though. rebag if I see any.

Good stuff Scott - those SWO look nice. ;)

I use damp peat in ziploc - seems to work ok. I watch for mold reguarly though. rebag if I see any.

Yea apparently you can get them pre-packed in peat if you know the right people :D

Last year I stored 5 lbs. of extra large Dunstan's nuts dry - I used three 1 gallon freezer bags with about 55 nuts in each bag. I maintained the frig temp around 35 -39 degrees. Stored the nuts from October to February - then added moist sphagnum moss and kept the nuts in the frig until they started to germinate which took between two and six weeks. Best of Luck!!