Hinge Cut Progress

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
Went up to the sidehill lot to check on things today. Spring green up is in full force now. Here are some pics of my hinge cutting area. Basically it serves as blocking, funneling, screening and some increased browse.

It really thickened up nicely! I hinge cut 6 bedding areas in my 25 acre woodlot this winter.....the trees aren't all leafed out yet....late Spring for sure.

looks good! mine is looking good from last year.

This is just a narrow finger of woods between my two main plot areas. The hinging then wraps around downhill surrounding the bottom plot where I have left two trails open into the plot. I also have two trails through this mess that connect the upper and lower plots. They are two separate plots but they are close enough to serve as one centralized feeding area. The finger of woods is only about 30 yds wide at its widest.
Basically I am creating screening so that I can get out of my stand in the mornings with deer bedding close by on but on the neighbors can't see me. It also helps funnel them through/between the two plots where I can get shot opportunities.
We just had leaf out really take off in the last 5-7 days.

Is that a hang on stand with some climbing sticks in the first pic? Looks like you were successful in thickening up/screening . Hinge cuts can be a great tool!

Is that a hang on stand with some climbing sticks in the first pic? Looks like you were successful in thickening up/screening . Hinge cuts can be a great tool!

You are correct! that stand is visible in several of the pics if you know where to look! its actually a double set. there is a stand on both sides of the tree. The stand on the up hill side is about 4 feet higher and isnt really visible. I can get the most of the same shots from either stand, but sometimes one side of the tree is better than the other depending on current or changing patterns of movement. Also, in the mornings once the sun crests the ridge across the valley the down hill side of the tree is lit up, so the uphill side of the tree is in the shadows....opposite for evenings. This is primarily a morning spot, but as we get into November its an all day spot and late afternoon early evening can be great.

That stand is like wares Waldo! Now I see it in others too....

Its crazy how fast green up happens looks great!!!