Hewes Crab / Virginia Crab - In the North

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Anyone growing this crabapple in the north? Looking for information about hardiness, disease resistance, drop time? I read the reviews at century farms and big horse creek farm they say it's small (1.5") and a good cider apple. What do the deer hunters think of this one? Who is growing them?

I have (2) grafted to B118, they are the most vigorous trees in my nursery right now. Grafted spring of 2015 and pushing 7-8' tall with real nice feathers.

I can't help with anything in the north but Virginia (Hewes) Crab is on of the first crab apples I'm bringing into my program. I grafted my first ones this past spring. I'm using M111 rootstock as well as some crabapples grown from seed.

Thanks,

Jack

I know "Willy" on here has had good luck with them and I am sure he has fruiting trees. My scion wood came from his trees. We are both zone 5B. Mine have grown well and have been disease free other than a very light touch of CAR.

Hewes hates me, ive tried it twice now, no go on grafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're not quite as north as you, but I've heard of a few people here in Michigan that grow them. Not in a big operation, but a few guys have a tree or two. I can't say as to how far north they'll go. I'd say they're worth giving a try. If you have them die in the winter then you'll know, and if the fruit doesn't ripen fully I think you'd be OK for cider.

Just my opinion, but I'd give them a try. If they fail, as far as fruit ripening, you can always graft them over to something else.