Herbicide for soybean, sunflower & pea plot

Weasel

5 year old buck +
I got this plot planted late (July 3rd) but it is coming in great with all the timely rain we've had this summer. I have not seen them since July 11th but I'm expecting that there will be weed issues based on my RR corn & bean plots I sprayed 2 weeks ago. I'm assuming Cleth will be ok for grass control but I don't remember hearing about a broadleaf herbicide safe for this mix. Ragweed tried to take over my RR corn & bean plots.

7120FE93-3257-4654-B19E-8932F904024F.jpg

0CC04FA2-2EFE-4CE3-AA77-09B7823FEAF8.jpg

I doubt you will find anything totally safe for all 3 that will give you a good kill on broadleaf weeds without harming what you have. How bad is the ragweed? Most deer love ragweed, so a bit of it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

That's what I thought wisc, thanks. The ragweed completely engulfed my RR corn & bean plots, which was no problem and the sorghum/milo mix screen will be given a 2-4 D treatment. Like I said, it's been 2 weeks since those pics so I will find out this weekend if there are any & how bad the weeds are.

I would double check the label, shouldn't the cleth kill sunflowers too?

I was possibly mistaken. Here is the wisdom of our friend DoubleTree posted from the Iowa Whitetials forum on Herbicides:

Dual II Magnum (S-metolachlor) is a residual action herbicide that will help control weeds such as foxtail in corn, soybeans and pod crops. PREPLANT INCORPORATED OR PREEMERGENCE SURFACE-APPLIED

Quote:
DUAL II Magnum herbicide provides selective weed control in:
Corn * (hybrid, silage, seed, sweet)
Soybeans
Dry common beans (Phaseolus vulgaris)
Snap common beans (yellow and green)
Lima beans
Potatoes
Sugar beets
Sunflowers
Transplanted tomatoes
Rutabagas
Sweet white lupins
Peas (grown for processing)
Fruit trees (bearing and non-bearing)
Second-year or older poplar stoolbeds
Second-year or older transplant or seedling stock of:
White Spruce, Norway Spruce, Black Spruce, White Pine, Jack Pine and Red Pine
Transplanted broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower
Newly planted strawberries
Dual can also be used on sorghum seed that has been "safened" making this an excellent herbicide for a milo/soybean planting or a corn/soybean planting.

Looks like it is safe on Soys, peas, and sunny's! Check the label and ask MoBuck, send him a PM if you have to!

I would double check the label, shouldn't the cleth kill sunflowers too?

I did some research on Cleth, it won't kill sunflowers.

I was possibly mistaken. Here is the wisdom of our friend DoubleTree posted from the Iowa Whitetials forum on Herbicides:

Dual II Magnum (S-metolachlor) is a residual action herbicide that will help control weeds such as foxtail in corn, soybeans and pod crops. PREPLANT INCORPORATED OR PREEMERGENCE SURFACE-APPLIED

Thanks. Something to think about for preplant next year. Won't help now that they're growing.

From the manufacturer's web site:

Postemergence: Dual II MAGNUM may be applied postemergence to corn, up to 40 inches tall. Dual II MAGNUM will not provide postemergence weed control so it must be applied to a weed-free soil surface or in combination with products that provide postemergence control of weed species present at the time of application. Use only where allowed in crop specific directions for use.

CAUTION: Soybeans should be seeded at least 4 cm deep or crop injury may result. Do not apply DUAL II MAGNUM Herbicide if soybeans have emerged.

Cereal grains can be planted 4.5 months after application.

Maybe dig around in LC's old Herbicide threads? There may be something in those that would be helpful for the mean time, but as I said before, in my experience, I don't think there is a safe broadleaf killer for that mix.

Does anyone know where to buy Cleth in Central MN? I have tried every Co-Op in the area an nothing....

MoBuckChaser sells it from his seed distributorship, but you would likely have to drive to Mora. Good prices too, might make the drive worth it?

Thank you, I am not far from Mora

Sent you a PM