All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemlock Seedling Planting Questions

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Curious if anyone here has experience planting Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga Canadensis)?

These would be 3-0 bare root seedlings.

Would like to know how successful plantings were, issues with deer browse, and any other suggestions.

Deer candy

Unless the deer leave your property and winter somewhere else, some type of protection will be needed to get them to survive.

Curious if anyone here has experience planting Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga Canadensis)?

I have them Treampealeau co WI don't have issue with deer damage . Minor about same as white pine.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that is what I was worried about regarding the browsing. Was looking for a shade tolerant, under story conifer to start filling in a mature wooded area I am hinging.

I have them Treampealeau co WI don't have issue with deer damage . Minor about same as white pine.
And a lot of deer to boot, the catch is that there is plenty of ag around to keep their bellies full during the winter.

We have a ton of hemlock here in PA. the deer seem to leave them alone until the dead of winter in ag areas...but they get pretty hard in the big woods/mtns.

I've planted hemlock and white cedar and the deer leave them alone. If I plant a hardwood or a shrub they get mowed off.

Last edited:
I've planted hemlock white cedar and the deer leave them alone. If I plant a hardwood or a shrub they get mowed off.
I planted hybrid willow and hemlock in shaded open walnut tree area. The hemlock did great with regard to shade and deer. Willows struggled and those that did ok deer mowed down big time. I was warned on willow so not surprised . I have high deer numbers but they yard a mile away in winter area with pines and good year round water source.

We put on a habitat seminar and a forestry consultant was certainly pushing them for winter cover, but winter browse is an issue on smaller trees. They are a very good choice for filling in were there is a more mature canopy though. I've had good luck with a few around my house, but deer do not winter right here.

Thanks guys, that is what I was worried about regarding the browsing. Was looking for a shade tolerant, under story conifer to start filling in a mature wooded area I am hinging.

Maybe tuck some balsam fir back in the hinge cuts?