Help with plant ID

Bonez

Yearling... With promise
Can anyone tell me what these are? I’ve brush hogged about 3 acres of it and sprayed 2-4D. It was chocking out my clover plots. Going back in 2 weeks to mow again and then spray clethodim. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_9497.png
    IMG_9497.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Google machine says horseweed. I'll leave it to some of these other guys to let you know how to get rid of it. I usually just nuke it all and start over when something completely takes over.

That's what it is. It has to come back from seed every year. Let it start making a seedhead and mow it a few days before the seed on the earliest maturing plants become viable. If you mow too early, it will adjust and still have time to make a seedhead on a low stalk. I realize that this method isn't 100% foolproof because it doesn't all start maturing at the same time, but it is close enough to make a tremendous difference in the amount you get next year.

It usually becomes dominate when you spray with Gly a few times killing all the competition and letting it explode, since it Gly does not harm it. Broadleaf spray that is labeled for clover will kill it

Everything I have read says 2-4d does the job along with a few others. Also says to combine 2-4d and Gly. There’s a good amount of white clover throughout the plot so hopefully by mowing it will help the clover grow. If not, I’ll have to just try to kill the entire plot and start over in Aug.

Everything I have read says 2-4d does the job along with a few others. Also says to combine 2-4d and Gly. There’s a good amount of white clover throughout the plot so hopefully by mowing it will help the clover grow. If not, I’ll have to just try to kill the entire plot and start over in Aug.
Definitely marestail/horseweed. It laughs at Gly on my place. We have started using Liberty to get it under control in with beans/corn, as it usually becomes a problem in no-till RR beans. As mentioned above, mowing will set it back (or kill it if timed right), and repeat mowing will kill it, so it seldom becomes a problem in clover plots that get mowed a couple times per year. It also doesn't do well with shade, so leaving fall planted rye growing to maturity in the spring/summer can reduce the amount of it as well. By the way, If you sprayed Gly and 2,4-D, you will either kill or severely set back your white clover.

Definitely marestail/horseweed. It laughs at Gly on my place. We have started using Liberty to get it under control in with beans/corn, as it usually becomes a problem in no-till RR beans. As mentioned above, mowing will set it back (or kill it if timed right), and repeat mowing will kill it, so it seldom becomes a problem in clover plots that get mowed a couple times per year. It also doesn't do well with shade, so leaving fall planted rye growing to maturity in the spring/summer can reduce the amount of it as well. By the way, If you sprayed Gly and 2,4-D, you will either kill or severely set back your white clover.

Just sprayed 2-4d.

Just sprayed 2-4d.
Established clover can actually be tough to control, so it'll be a waiting game to see if your clover survives. What rate did you use and what formulation? How old is the clover and what is your climate like? Hot? Drought?

Central IL, year 2 of established clover. 42 gallons of water, 2.5 gallons of 2-4d with hi-yield surfactant. Gordon’s 2-4d Amine 400. Sprayed a total of 8 acres. Drove 5-8mph on atv which calculated out to be 5.5GPA. Gumbo 45 gallon sprayer 2.4GPM pump

Last edited:
Central IL, year 2 of established clover. 42 gallons of water, 2.5 gallons of 2-4d with hi-yield surfactant. Gordon’s 2-4d Amine 400. Sprayed a total of 8 acres. Drove 5-8mph on atv which calculated out to be 5.5GPA. Gumbo 45 gallon sprayer 2.4GPM pump
So, looks like 1.25 qt/A. I would be surprised if you didn't see significant damage to the clover, although it is possible it recovers. Hopefully, it smokes the marestail in the process.

Keep us posted on this the rest of the season. Curious how this progresses from here.

This was a 1 acre clover plot that was also choked out as well. Cut and sprayed, I’ll know more in 2 weeks when I’m back down at the farm IMG_9491.jpegIMG_9495.jpeg

Well time got away from me but finally got back down to the farm. The OG clover plots are actually doing real well following the brush hogging and spraying. The 2-4D killed all the horse weed and didn’t affect the clover at all. I’m hoping to get back down before Sept to mow/spray both clover plots to kill off the rest of the broadleaf that has made a come back. I also got about 2.5 acres disc’d and planted in WI beats and greens and winter-greens. I also am testing an August bean planting using real world gen2. We will how it goes. Here’s a few pics of the clover plotsIMG_9701.jpegIMG_9704.jpegIMG_9708.jpegIMG_9712.jpegIMG_9710.jpeg