Help with electronics

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I need some help with trying to figure out what I need to buy, and also a trouble free system.

I have Starlink internet, and I have a Lorex camera system. The Lorex camera system can only hook up via ethernet , and not wireless. I dont have any wired ethernet ports ran near my Lorex system. So I need a wireless to ethernet adapter that I can plug in, and it uses the wireless internet and creates a usable ethernet port. I know there are several out there, but I need one that wont lock up, and need to be unplugged and reset every week or so, because what good is a security system, that you have to be there to maintain it. Any recommendations on one? I have good wireless signal at the location, I just need a wired connection there.

Starlink routers dont have wired ports, but they make an adapter, and I do have the adapter, but it is on the opposite side of the house, and my wifes work computer is hooked to it.

I am not really savvy when it comes to this stuff, so if it takes a lot of set up, it probably isnt a good option for me.

Sounds like you need a wireless router. If the camera has its own PoE it can probably send a signal with just an adapter/antenna. Or can you just buy a second Starlink adapter?

I'm not familiar with Lorex or Starlink, but a wireless router should solve your problems, and you should be able to reboot it over the internet.

Sounds like you need a wireless router. If the camera has its own PoE it can probably send a signal with just an adapter/antenna. Or can you just buy a second Starlink adapter?

I'm not familiar with Lorex or Starlink, but a wireless router should solve your problems, and you should be able to reboot it over the internet.
The Lorex NVR does need to be hardwired to the internet. I was wondering if a wireless router used as a bridge, or repeater would work, and allow me to connect the ethernet cord to the wireless router?

So the Starlink broadcasts wirelessly, the other wireless router takes the wireless signal and allows me to hook into it with a ethernet cord?

Wireless router most likely has ports on the back for wired connections. There is always at least 1, to connect to the actual provider's hardware (again - likely via ethernet). But before you buy something...

Does your Starlink have any open ethernet ports on the back?
Can you just move the Lorax system to within range or run a cable to it?

Trying to picture what you have - I've got both a wireless router and a hard wired security system (the main hub - the cams are all wireless on their own network).

1665595761603.png

Last edited:
I bought a Netgear WN3000RP Wifi Range Extender for about $20 over 5 years ago for the same purpose. It has been very reliable for me. Looks like the price went way up though.

Wireless router most likely has ports on the back for wired connections. There is always at least 1, to connect to the actual provider's hardware (again - likely via ethernet). But before you buy something...

Does your Starlink have any open ethernet ports on the back?
Can you just move the Lorax system to within range or run a cable to it?

Trying to picture what you have - I've got both a wireless router and a hard wired security system (the main hub - the cams are all wireless on their own network).

View attachment 46635

The top picture wont work, because the NVR needs to be hardwired, either of the bottom 2 will, but I was hoping to not have to crawl back into crawl spaces to run a cable.

Starlinks newer routers dont have a port, but they sell an adapter that goes inline, and it gives you a single port. I was just hoping to have a router, or something that can grab the wireless signal and allow me to tap into the port.

The Lorex NVR does need to be hardwired to the internet. I was wondering if a wireless router used as a bridge, or repeater would work, and allow me to connect the ethernet cord to the wireless router?

So the Starlink broadcasts wirelessly, the other wireless router takes the wireless signal and allows me to hook into it with a ethernet cord?

You don't need to configure it as a bridge. Just plug it in to the wall, plug the camera system into a LAN port, and configure the network to match your Starlink router.

If you have an adapter for the starlink router with an ethernet port I would suggest a powerline adapter like;

this https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=124WSWC72W8X4&keywords=gigabit+powerline+adapter&qid=1665600251&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjI0IiwicXNhIjoiMi44NiIsInFzcCI6IjIuNDgifQ==&sprefix=gigabit+powerline+adapter,aps,181&sr=8-3

As long as your electrical wiring is decent and its all on the same electrical panel we have had good luck with them.

If you need more then one ethernet port you can get a gigabit ethernet switch that will provide many more ethernet ports if that helps.

I am unsure what the starlink setup looks like exactly.

Why not just use a Ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter?

I dont see why not. I got the impression he was looking for a simple plug/play solution. I haven't used the wifi to ethernet adapters so I am unsure if there is any setup required or not, likely just pressing the WPS button would connect them.

Why not just use a Ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter?

my only concern with these, is that I will need to reset them often. But I am off to Walmart this evening to see what I can find there and try it out tonight, or tomorrow.