Help me understand....

You gotta know that small quantities are going to cost you more money. Nobody is getting rich off of small seed buys. It takes time to weigh and re-pack seeds. Time is money. Sometimes I pay lots more locally than I would like for certain seeds....but paying shipping or driving long distances to save a few bucks doesn't add up either.

We all get a bit knicked with small quantitiy seed, chemical, and fertilizer purchases. Let the buyer beware. Do your homework.

I get that. But in this case she literally took a paper bag. Scooped some seed in the bag and weighted it right there. It took her longer to walk across the showroom floor.

I'm fine with charging an open bag fee. But 10x the price is a bit excessive especially when I purchased a bunch of other stuff as well.

No one forced you to purchase it. If you didn't like the price you could have walked away.

No one forced you to purchase it. If you didn't like the price you could have walked away.

She already ran it through the credit card. I just wanted to know about WI and their rye grass in this thread. LOL It turned into a bitch fest about the coop which wasn't my point.

I've always had good luck with Whitetail Institute products. They might cost more, but I planted some of their seed last year side by side with generics and the deer preferred the WI products (the deer ate them first and they grew larger). I buy some generic seed from Welter's or a local seed store if it's a larger plot, but if I have a last minute opening for a plot I have no problem with buying a bag of WI or Biologic seed from the store. Time and gas is expensive, so for me it's just not worth driving all over the countryside if my goal is to throw in a last second 1/4 acre plot.

There are other options that the deer might prefer more than rye grass, but a small amount in a blend isn't a problem. This spring I had a leftover bag of Biologic that contained alfalfa and some ryegrass and the deer are browsing both daily. And this tiny strip is only 50 yards from some buckwheat and soybeans, so the deer have other options but they're still eating the rye grass. I think they rye grass component is just filler that is sure to grow even with poor weather or soil conditions, but the deer still eat it. I'd say go forward with your WI blend and let us know how it grows. Or better yet, plant the WI blend in one section and some generics in the other just to have a direct comparison of different blends.

I've heard that ryegrass is hard to get rid of once you have it. If buying BOB I'd look for a product that contained 0% ryegrass.

I planted a blend last year that had a small % of annual rye grass in the mix and none of it grew back the following spring. I didn't really want a blend with annual ryegrass, but I got the BOB blend for free so it was worth a try.

The blend I planted this summer was also an annual rye grass that was blended with some type of alfalfa. I have a sandy strip that I wanted to try alfalfa in, so I went with that blend even though it also contained annual rye grass. Both are growing well and the deer are eating them so I'm happy. They seem to prefer the annual rye grass blend more than they like my oats/clover/chicory blend planted at the other end of the field, but it's tough to tell if the preference difference is related to the blend or the location of the fields.

Yesterday I overseeded my late planted soybean plot with winter rye grain to hopefully provide a late season food source after the beans die off. I'm also interested in the organic matter boost that I should get with the early season growth next year. We got about 1" of rain a couple hours later, so I'm interested to see how that turns out - this is the first time I've overseeded a soybean plot.