All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me select some garden seed

j-bird

I have a deer project I want to try but I need some help. I need to select some garden seed of plants that have a vine type growth habit that you would normally plant in the garden. The cold hardier the better, but I am only looking for something that will be green thru roughly September. I am thinking of beans and peas, but I am not sure which actual varieties would be best.....or if it will even matter.

My plan:
I plan on using a cage similar to what I use to protect fruit trees (4' tall and 2 to 2 1/2' in diameter) and planting vining plants inside it. I would then allow the plant to grow all summer and whatever grew outside the cage can keep the deer interested. A few days before an early season hunt I remove the cage (similar to how folks fence off soybeans) and let the deer have at it all while a hunter sits in a stand. I see this as being a very narrow window prime foodplot sort of thing and if it lasts the weekend that would be fine (I have a low deer density as it is). My target hunting season is the last weekend in September. We have a youth only hunt that weekend and I want to give my daughter the best chance at a deer. Late September here tends to still be plenty warm....(first frost here tends to be mid October). My thing is that I want the deer to be able to sample the plant thru the summer....to keep them interested....and thus why I think the vine growth habit will work better.

This maybe a real stupid idea, but it will be interesting to see if/how it works. Please give me some recommendations of varieties of beans or peas or any other garden plant that may work well that has a decent chance of being green into late September. I may try a couple of these with different seeds to see if the deer show any preference as well. I considered winter peas, but I don't think they will grow tall enough for what I want.

Very interested in "runner beans".

Last edited:
Pumpkins, cantelope, winter squash. Peas are a cool season plant, and don't vine that much. Interesting idea.

I bought peas and pole beans...... The sunflower is for the girls and not part of my crazy plan....at least not yet....
seeds.jpg

With the shorter maturity dates I see I will have to plant different set-ups to keep things fresh and green for the deer.....and that is fine. I think I may plant several and try different things to see what works better as well. This could be a total waste of time or something rather sneaky on my part......we will see.....