Help me select some garden seed

j-bird

I have a deer project I want to try but I need some help. I need to select some garden seed of plants that have a vine type growth habit that you would normally plant in the garden. The cold hardier the better, but I am only looking for something that will be green thru roughly September. I am thinking of beans and peas, but I am not sure which actual varieties would be best.....or if it will even matter.

My plan:
I plan on using a cage similar to what I use to protect fruit trees (4' tall and 2 to 2 1/2' in diameter) and planting vining plants inside it. I would then allow the plant to grow all summer and whatever grew outside the cage can keep the deer interested. A few days before an early season hunt I remove the cage (similar to how folks fence off soybeans) and let the deer have at it all while a hunter sits in a stand. I see this as being a very narrow window prime foodplot sort of thing and if it lasts the weekend that would be fine (I have a low deer density as it is). My target hunting season is the last weekend in September. We have a youth only hunt that weekend and I want to give my daughter the best chance at a deer. Late September here tends to still be plenty warm....(first frost here tends to be mid October). My thing is that I want the deer to be able to sample the plant thru the summer....to keep them interested....and thus why I think the vine growth habit will work better.

This maybe a real stupid idea, but it will be interesting to see if/how it works. Please give me some recommendations of varieties of beans or peas or any other garden plant that may work well that has a decent chance of being green into late September. I may try a couple of these with different seeds to see if the deer show any preference as well. I considered winter peas, but I don't think they will grow tall enough for what I want.

Very interested in "runner beans".

Last edited:
Pumpkins, cantelope, winter squash. Peas are a cool season plant, and don't vine that much. Interesting idea.

I bought peas and pole beans...... The sunflower is for the girls and not part of my crazy plan....at least not yet....
seeds.jpg

With the shorter maturity dates I see I will have to plant different set-ups to keep things fresh and green for the deer.....and that is fine. I think I may plant several and try different things to see what works better as well. This could be a total waste of time or something rather sneaky on my part......we will see.....