Help me prune this liberty

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I pruned this tree but unsure if I should take anything else off? All the first layer of branches are all together. Will this cause an issue? The angles are pretty good. I am hesitant to whack them
41A2A049-A7D0-4F6F-AD5E-B5D4E474DFAE.jpeg
EB12028E-B442-4350-A0B5-591097CBE896.jpeg

I say it looks pretty good. Maybe lower the top two, non-leaders a hair, but she looks good to me!

I would definitely take off that highest branch to the right, let the one going straight up be the leader and I’d probably wack that high left branch too and start a new scaffold right around there.
Looks like you headed off that top left branch last year

Hah. I'm staying out of this one! Ask 3 orchardists how they would prune a tree and you will get 5 answers.
But just to see if I can make someone have a cow... have you thought of pruning off the whole central leader down to the first whirl and make the tree an open centered tree? It would be easier picking! That's a really nice first whirl.

Hah. I'm staying out of this one! Ask 3 orchardists how they would prune a tree and you will get 5 answers.
But just to see if I can make someone have a cow... have you thought of pruning off the whole central leader down to the first whirl and make the tree an open centered tree? It would be easier picking! That's a really nice first whirl.
No way I like tall apple trees! Lol ;)
I am mainly concerned about the cluster of branches all at the same height. That ok?

I am mainly concerned about the cluster of branches all at the same height. That ok?
Typical you want 3-4 branches per scaffold “cluster” but each going in a different direction. Then 2-3 ft above that another scaffold. This helps let light in. Also each higher scaffold should be shorter than the one below it.

I usually make my first whirl of branches at about 4'-5' high so they will exit the top of the wire cage without hitting the top. Once the cage is removed the deer will damage all the buds on al the branches from about 5.5' and down. They will damage most branches up to about 6'-7' by standing on their hind legs and grabbing branch tips with their teeth. All apples will be knocked off these lower branches. Prune the tips of the branches to grow outward and upward.

Ideally the books say you shouldnt have the limbs of the scaffold all that close together. It could cause the tree to be weak there, but I am not sure I would worry too much about it. See how the nice the branch angles are on the whorl and that next limb up? Ideally you want them to all look like that. See how you have a much tighter branch angle on the top most 2 branches. That can lead to splitting when those limbs get heavy with fruit. But not every tree has to be picture perfect to be of value! Life is too short to lose a lot of sleep on those type of things!

Thanks everyone! I knew I would get some good feedback! Think I will watch this tree grow another season an reassess the situation next year:)

Taking branches off below 4.5 to 5 feet early in trees lifehas worked Well for us.

I will rub off new growth where I don’t want it on young trees and weak leader rub all first 2 competition also for die 4 years.

Damn I want some Liberty's! I've had two trees for 8 or 10 years...like 4 apples total off 1...zip off the other (pretty shaded)...maybe this year. Both these trees have been neglected until lately but geez..