Help! Food plot is dying

oscar1232

Yearling... With promise
MFDC0005.JPG I planted a half acre of WI purple top turnips, fertilized it, and everything was looking good a couple weeks ago, now everything is turning from lush green to a deadish look. We have not had a frost and we have had ample moisture! I planted this around the 20th of July What is going on and is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg heres some pictures from last month

image.jpg

Looks like they need some nitrogen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fertilized when I planted and then about 4 weeks after planting I top dressed with nitrogen right before a heavy rain

How much, when and what kind of fertilizer did you apply? Where are you located?

I'm in northern Minnesota. I initially put about 200 pounds of a triple 19 on. That was applied on top right with the seed in between cultipacking. The top dress last month was 40 pounds of 28-8-13.

Our turnips and brassicas at another farm are looking great. They only got fertilizer as a top dress a month after planting, (better soil)and planted a week later . Look at difference. Same seedimage.jpg

Brassicas love nitrogen. From 60-90 lbs of nitrogen per acre. If I calculated correctly, you have added around 50 lbs of nitrogen. But you added that you have had ample rain along with good growth, which tells me this nitrogen has been used up or leached through the soil. You added about 38 lbs at planting almost 2 months ago and about 10 lbs a month ago. It maybe too late but I would add about 100 lbs of 46-0-0 before a good rain or get 100 lbs of 34-0-0, if you don't expect a frost within the next few weeks.

Talking 36 degrees on Tuesday? Maybe I'll wait until wedsday and spread it. Or should I just chance it and spread it tomorrow

This same thing is happening to my buddy and myself. I have been growing successful brassica plots for years, and then bam this year my biggest plot is dying. I noticed a weird phenomenon this year, the heat and drought made my plants bolt early. All my brassicas are prematurely bolting crazy year. All my plots were planted in old clover plots with urea top dressed a month after planting. I feel for you, I am sick to my stomach.

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_091810424.jpg
    IMG_20160910_091810424.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 46
I also forgot to say my turnip bulbs are actually growing huge, even though the leaves are cooked.

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_092242316.jpg
    IMG_20160910_092242316.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
  • EK000013.JPG
    EK000013.JPG
    859.7 KB · Views: 41
I planted a half acre of WI purple top turnips, fertilized it, and everything was looking good a couple weeks ago, now everything is turning from lush green to a deadish look. We have not had a frost and we have had ample moisture! I planted this around the 20th of July What is going on and is there anything I can do?

How much is ample moisture? Is it too wet? Lack of phosphorus. I have an area of radish that looked great early last week, I ended up with 4" of rain last Tue/Wed and that area of radish looks like crap now. The area is very heavy soil and it's way too wet. My radish/kale in better draining areas look excellent.

take a tissue sample and send it in to see what is happening.

Got any sign of insects?

No sign of insects, it's kind of sandy soil. There's a gravel pit on he adjoining property. We've probably had 5 inches of rain in the last month. Not too much but not lacking I wouldn't say. Where does a guy send something like that too?

Phil I have noticed the exact same issue in southern MN. Planted Mine 7/9 and have the biggest bulbs I have ever had. I was guessing I may have planted too early with the good growing conditions we had here this year. Rye, oats, and peas on the other half of the plot planted 8/26 look excellent. Not sure what the issue is.

The leaves are getting crunchy, it's like they are drying out but they can't be

I'm very sorry to hear that Oscar. I feel your pain. Do you have close up pics of the leaves?

My "good" brassica (Turnip, Radish & Rape) planted Mid July (Vermont), was beautiful last week and this weekend it is stricken by this:

What is strange is we have had record drought here in our state. Very little moisture. This occurred weeks after any substantial rain.
IMG_20160910_112023283.jpg

From all the reading I have been doing, I'm pretty sure it is "Alternaria Leaf Spot". Fungus....bummer. This is brand new ground that was all woods last year. I had to cut about 50 trees and grind stumps. It is next to what was Brassica last year, but that half is all clover (+ weeds) this year to rotate. I am planning on spraying chlorothanolil fungicide this evening to try and save the rest of the crop. Interesting experiment anyway to see if it saves anything or brings the dying back to life. We shall see...

Be careful when using straight urea 46-0-0. If your plants are wet when you put it on...it will burn them and possible kill them. I also had one plot of brassica that was doing well and suddenly went the other way. That was on newly broken ground also. Plants started turning purple at first and than turned all the colors of fall leaves, and than dried up. The bulbs and radishes are still getting big. If someone figures this out...let us know.