Helicopter spraying at my farm today.

I like the mobile landing pad idea!

What are they spraying and how much does it cost?

Two years ago I watched a helicopter sprayer fly underneath a powerline. It was pretty crazy to see, but seemed incredibly dumb. There was also a helicopter spraying fatality that year when a helicopter hit a power line. Around here helicopter spraying is more common later in the year when the corn gets too tall to spray from the ground.

Seems like a rich man's game. I'm jealous.

What you spraying and how much an acre?

25/acre.

Velpar df and oust xp for longleaf pine release.

By far most cost effective way to spray.

They load in 5 min then spray 10 acres in 5 min. 60 acres an hour.

Getting 150 acres sprayed.

25/acre.

Velpar df and oust xp for longleaf pine release.

By far most cost effective way to spray.

They load in 5 min then spray 10 acres in 5 min.

I wonder if that would work for foliar on Bush honeysuckle. Be well worth the money if I could time it right.

mature trees or seedlings? What type?

Probably a decent mix

Had the same done a few months back on 73 acres I clear cut. Got improved loblolly babies already in the ground and growing.

Had the same done a few months back on 73 acres I clear cut. Got improved loblolly babies already in the ground and growing.
Spraying 50 more I clear cut with site prep in September for December planting of longleaf. Will give me 200 acres of planted longleaf.

Mostly mid to fully mature hardwoods. Was thinking of spraying in early spring when only the BH was green.

I’ve seriously thought about this for controlling poplar regen, stiltgrass, multiflora, etc. I don’t think something like gly or another nonselective herbicide could wipe out mature oaks but I’ve been wrong plenty before! And honestly the way they highgraded these areas I have very little mature oaks anyway. Knock out all the beech and sycamore your hearts desire

I wonder if that would work for foliar on Bush honeysuckle. Be well worth the money if I could time it right.
My local forester said it was an option for me. I am not going to use it, but going to go with a backpack mist blower and glyphosate once everything else is dormant in the Fall. Bush honeysuckle stays green well after everything else here.

My local forester said it was an option for me. I am not going to use it, but going to go with a backpack mist blower and glyphosate once everything else is dormant in the Fall. Bush honeysuckle stays green well after everything else here.
It feels like a helicopter application may be less intrusive to the deer population during hunting season than marching through the timber with a fogging machine. Obviously it's best for the habitat to eliminate the BH but blowing all the deer off my property in late October doesn't seem ideal.

It feels like a helicopter application may be less intrusive to the deer population during hunting season than marching through the timber with a fogging machine. Obviously it's best for the habitat to eliminate the BH but blowing all the deer off my property in late October doesn't seem ideal.
I guess it depends on how much disturbance your deer have on a regular basis. Unless you are in pretty remote area that sees very little human activity I personally dont think it has any effect on deer presence for more than just a few hours. Just heard a recent discussion on a study that concluded that deer typically return to their home range within hours, especially if the disturbance is very infrequent. This involved radio collared deer on a area that was hunted heavily for only a short period of time every year. Deer would run from the disturbance but be back to their home range by the following morning. I am not advocating for disturbing the normal daily movements of deer, but as you said allowing invasives to completely render the habitat uninhabitable is of no benefit either.

I had my farm done bush honeysuckle is sprayed mid November in the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my farm done bush honeysuckle is sprayed mid November in the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With a helicopter?