Heater Body Suit arrived

Every rifle stand we have is an open box. Been so cold so many times, its just how it is. Tried a small sunflower a few times, but it just doesnt work well.
We keep talking about building an enclosed one or two, but it never happens as the work list has much higher priorities.... That HBS in the open box blind aint a bad dang idea.....

I'm up to 7 Box blinds, 4 ladder stands, a ground blind, and a couple of hang-ons that don't get used. I've been adding one box each year now. Maybe a few more?

My son-in-law and grandson spent a full week in WI last year in HBS. Buffalo County....dark to dark sits in a ladder stand and their HBS. They were comfortable all week....but were pretty hunted out at the end of a cold week....and nothing to show for it.

I have 51 stands currently on farms in Missouri. If I replaced them with rednecks, they would put me on their board of directors!:eek:

MO....Wonder about a box blind on a trailer for you?

MO....Wonder about a box blind on a trailer for you?

If you saw Missouri you would know why that would not work.

If you saw Missouri you would know why that would not work.

Yep.....been thru there many, many times. I just lost my head for a minute. ;)

Been thinking about one of those boxes on a trailer. I wish they were made a bit better (and cheaper)......and I might then spring for one. It would be fun to try a few spots on my land....and my land is quite flat and I have good trails to move it.

This would be fairly cheap if you found a bus that had a blown motor. You could put this on a trailer. or just overhaul the motor and drive it to your spot.

upload_2015-9-11_21-36-7.png

Yep.....been thru there many, many times. I just lost my head for a minute. ;)

Yep, can't even get a D-8 cat up and down some of the hills and creek bottoms we have. Once you get a stand in place, you leave it there dam near for ever!

Every rifle stand we have is an open box. Been so cold so many times, its just how it is. Tried a small sunflower a few times, but it just doesnt work well.
We keep talking about building an enclosed one or two, but it never happens as the work list has much higher priorities.... That HBS in the open box blind aint a bad dang idea.....

If your stand is big enough, put in a shelf to lay your gun on in front of you. Build the shelf tight to the wall. Put a small sunflower under the shelf and pick up an old quilt. The quilt goes on top of the shelf, under your gun, and you can pull it just about up to your arm pits. Even over your arms at times and just your head is exposed.

If your stand is big enough, put in a shelf to lay your gun on in front of you. Build the shelf tight to the wall. Put a small sunflower under the shelf and pick up an old quilt. The quilt goes on top of the shelf, under your gun, and you can pull it just about up to your arm pits. Even over your arms at times and just your head is exposed.
I have thought of a similar plan but was thinking of using an old army surplus wool blanket. If you know someone who sews you could have them also make the blanket into a poncho.

I have one enclosed Stump blind I can use then 9 ladder stands and a climber. Nice to have options and the HBS just adds to that.

Last edited:
A friend of mine used to "wear" his sleeping bag in a stand. He said he was toasty warm. Not sure how he dealt with his gun.

A friend of mine used to "wear" his sleeping bag in a stand. He said he was toasty warm. Not sure how he dealt with his gun.

I pull an old sleeping bag up to my arm pits. Works good, and way cheaper than a heater body suit

I'm wanting to extend my season into muzzleloader and think the HBS will help me do that. I have a fair amount of food plots and with limiting what I will shoot to good bucks the HBS could help me get the job done.

Right tool for the application.

I pull an old sleeping bag up to my arm pits. Works good, and way cheaper than a heater body suit
Done that! You can pull it over your arms in Minnesota as you don't see deer anyway.

Done that! You can pull it over your arms in Minnesota as you don't see deer anyway.
Or better yet stay in bed and look for those monster bucks under your eyelids ;)