Have you habitat improvements improved your hunting?

Have you habitat improvements improved your hunting?

• Total voters
Fencing the fruit trees has been a must. So far so good. In the future we may put in some bee hives. That will require an electric fence for sure. I forgot to mention the water holes I added. Simple kiddie pools we picked up on clearance from target last summer. They have been huge draws for the deer.

What did you use for fencing?

I used the concrete mesh from menards with multiple t posts. I need to pick up several more rolls to prepare for my spring order planting. After I win the power ball tonight I'll be able to speed up my habitat plan and add extra properties. If I win I'll set up a big habitat talk party for whoever wants to come. Free of charge of course.

I used the concrete mesh from menards with multiple t posts. I need to pick up several more rolls to prepare for my spring order planting. After I win the power ball tonight I'll be able to speed up my habitat plan and add extra properties. If I win I'll set up a big habitat talk party for whoever wants to come. Free of charge of course.
door prizes? ;)

Or maybe you can hire a consultant after you win tomorrow night oops can I say that in a thread that Dipper started. Sorry

Door prizes for everyone!!!

Door prizes for everyone!!!

I'll be there!

I hope the door prizes require a trailer to get them home :)

Okay, if that includes a heater body suit for me to wear at the party....

Why or why not?
i bought my property roughly 2 years ago. it is 135 acres (90 woods, 35 ag/open, 10 swamp) located in northern indiana. i enrolled in CRP and did a little hinge cutting in a secluded portion of the back of the property. i also cleared 3 areas in the woods for food plots. last year i only saw one deer which had the potential to be a shooter this year. there was only one doe family unit. this year i saw at least 5 bucks which should have shooter potential this coming year. there may be more, but because we are building on the front of the property, i had very few days to hunt. there are also 2 doe family units with 3 and 4 members respectively. two weekends ago while walking to check a trail cam i spotted 4 bucks on the edge of a 10 acre wood-lot just 150 yards where the pole barn is going up. this may all be coincidence, but the trail cam will tell us next spring.

i think planting the CRP will pay huge benefits in coming years as the surrounding property is ag with little cover. the woods are park-like, so the next 2 years are planned for thickening, hidden food plots, and funneling. i know the CRP planting at the property we sold served as great cover for fawning and we always had at least 1 doe family unit with 5 members,as well as, 2-3 bucks of varying age. that property was surrounded by ag on 2 sides and a subdivision on another. my wife, who has the green light to shoot anything she wants was able to take at least a 115" deer every year off of that property. my observation is that habitat is by far the most limiting factor in deer population maintenance.

Bodie you said the words"park like", that is horrible deer habitat. You turn your woods into tangled mess, hinge cuts or not, you will have much much better hunting.
It's that simple!