All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have not forgotten you guys and gals ...

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Since the raccoons and locust collectively hammered my apple trees and the coons literally ate every Apple off every tree all 100 trees, I have been too depressed to check in on the fruit tree section. I had things looking better than ever through about June 1 then it went over a cliff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like some trapping may be in order.

Sounds like some trapping may be in order.

I am going to be on it like a dog on a T-bone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locusts? I feel your pain. Coons are a different story. The new style coon cuff traps work great and you don't have to worry about non target catches. The price is down on fur right now, but the benefit to your quail, Turkey, and obviously apple trees, would be tremendous.
And bbq coon ain't that bad.

I like to put cheap canned sardines behind the trigger and a big white marshmallow in the top that they can see with a little fish oil on it. That will catch u a coon.

Live catch traps a piece of bread with PB on it right under the trigger pan works 99% of the time.

Foot traps marshmellows, cat food and some vanilla extract works great. Either way, you pop them with a .22 and its buy buy coon, the fur isn't worth messing with just get the nuisance under control pronto, its not the right time of year for their 'fur' anyways.

If you trap any this winter some buyers will buy them as a whole carcass, may not get much for them but if you catch enough could cover your gas especially off you run a longer line.

I feel your pain WTNUT, last year coons ate all of my apples off of my 5 producing trees (my orchard is young). This year they ate all of my Zestars on my 1 tree and most on the other! I finally decided enough was enough and I bought 4 of the Bridger T3 Dogproof Raccoon Traps and in the first 2 weeks I've caught 6 raccoons! I just put a large marshmellow under the trigger and it seems to be working pretty well so far. Good luck with your raccoon problems, it's amazing how many of them there are around that you never see because they're nocturnal.

My dad always used an egg, live trap, and .22. We would trap them all summer. They were endless. Sometimes you would have one in the trap and a couple bonus ones hanging around.

That really bites WT! I've been having my troubles w/ porkeys. I gave 3 a dose of lead poisoning this past week or so. I've got about a dozen trees w/ damage, broken branches and chewed bark.

Sorry to hear that WTNUT. The raccoons on my place haven't been destructive yet but they're showing up in numbers on my cams & eating my deer feed. The box trap will be going out on every overnight trip this year.

Dang coons in my area wreak havoc on my sweet corn crop! I sell about 15 dozen a day and it seems like they eat a dozen a night!