Have Any Worms???

dogghr

5 year old buck +
Question I have been trying to get around to ask. Short of a long story. I have a friend (a non hunter but takes his son hunting because son likes to hunt) who asked me if I had seen something before. While his son was gutting a deer he killed, they found at least 6, foot long worms in the stomach/intestines. His son dissects each organ of a deer as he guts one out of interest, which I find fascinating that he does so, thus he found the worms.

His question to me was had I ever seen such, and since they discarded the deer afraid to eat it, was that necessary? I've asked a couple of my friends, and between them and myself, we probably have gutted over a 1000 deer. None of us have seen such but we tend to do the job quickly and get the deer drug out of the woods. Also, we each have agreed, we wouldn't have eaten the deer if for no other reason the psychological affect it would have.

Now, my question... Have you guys seen such and would you have eaten the deer?

Question I have been trying to get around to ask. Short of a long story. I have a friend (a non hunter but takes his son hunting because son likes to hunt) who asked me if I had seen something before. While his son was gutting a deer he killed, they found at least 6, foot long worms in the stomach/intestines. His son dissects each organ of a deer as he guts one out of interest, which I find fascinating that he does so, thus he found the worms.

His question to me was had I ever seen such, and since they discarded the deer afraid to eat it, was that necessary? I've asked a couple of my friends, and between them and myself, we probably have gutted over a 1000 deer. None of us have seen such but we tend to do the job quickly and get the deer drug out of the woods. Also, we each have agreed, we wouldn't have eaten the deer if for no other reason the psychological affect it would have.

Now, my question... Have you guys seen such and would you have eaten the deer?

Never saw it before. Found this doing a google search. I copied and pasted.
Large Stomach Worm
The large stomach worm is another
nematode parasite of white-tailed deer.
Deer can carry low to moderate numbers
of this parasite and not show any
signs of disease. However, high numbers
can cause deer to be under weight,
weak, and anemic. Deer carrying high
numbers are usually malnourished,
infected with large numbers of other
parasites, and less than one year old.
Lesions from the large stomach worm
are nondescript but can include pale
mucous membranes, thin watery blood,
emaciation, and a high number of
worms in the abomasums (a chamber of
the stomach). Adult worms produce
eggs in the abomasum that are passed
out through feces. The eggs hatch and
become infective larvae in one to two
weeks. Deer ingest the infective larvae
while feeding on low vegetation.
Large stomach worms are common in
the coastal plain areas of the Southeast.
In areas where deer have exceeded nutritional
carrying capacity, large stomach
worm can be a contributing factor to
malnourished, heavily parasitized deer
herds. Heavily affected animals are usually
less than one year old and are found
from October to March. Ensuring deer
herds remain below carrying capacity
will reduce prevalence of disease but
will not eliminate the parasite. No
human health implications have been
reported from large stomach worms.

Not to cause trouble, but the QDMA home page has an article on deer parasites. I have never found any in my deer, but I don't go digging thru the organs either. I would have not eaten it either, just out of fear until I knew more. Better safe than sorry. I realize there may be things in deer that we can't see that could be just as dangerous, but if I do know - that's different.

I have seen tape worms moving in the intestines when gutting deer. I always cut the stomach open to observe what the deer had been eating, I have never seen worms in the stomach.

I have never seen them, but beef cattle and their calves are wormed nearly every fall in my part of t he country. Some are wormed twice a year.

I do not feel we should be worming wild deer, just indicating that worm presence is more common than we realize.

I often do surgery in cows and need to place my whole arm through an incision in their side. Before we had the new wormers I would occasionally pull my arm out and find a few worms on it.

One farmer's wife was assisting me with surgery and she saw the worms. I told her that sometimes the worms are so bad that they push my arm right back out of the cow. Then I told her that those nights when our stomach rolls around are really breeding season for the worms.

she left the barn and would not help me any more.

Bur - you just have a way with the ladies don't you? Did you offer to shake her had as well?

Bur - you just have a way with the ladies don't you? Did you offer to shake her had as well?
I usually do that after I have preg checked cattle. I hope you know how we preg check them.

I do.

Hold tail to the side with left hand and up to the elbow or shoulder with the right! Watch that tail - talk about something that smarts!

I have a video of my nephew gutting his bear and there were worms in it. It was insane!!

I do.

Hold tail to the side with left hand and up to the elbow or shoulder with the right! Watch that tail - talk about something that smarts!

You'd say she was a bad lay if she just stood there... :p

I think heat takes care of most parasites. That being said, if I see it, it's ain't happening with this guy. My best perch up to the time was a nice 12" from Cut Foot Sioux on the edge of Winnie. I was so excited to fillet it up and eat it. When I cut it open, it was full of those white booger looking parasites. That was the end of that. Same with sunfish. If they come up covered in that black pepper parasite, they go right back in the water. I like fish, but not enough to talk myself into the "it'll cook out" faith to legitimize keeping it.

oh god i just gave myself the heeby jeebies. Anyone know the acceptable number of worms per cod fillet according to usda regulations?

You'd say she was a bad lay if she just stood there... :p

Timber - Trust me she won't just stand there - you wouldn't either! "Brace yourself sweetheart" I've never been kicked, but I have had my share of cows & horses stand on my foot - that's not any fun either. Then they tend to want to just stand there regardless of how much you shove or how big of a body shot you give them. Cows just plain ain't smart critters. In fact they are the only domesticated animal that can not survive without human support - they are that dumb.

Bur - sounds like we need to take Timber to the farm and let him see the glamorous side of things! I didn't grow up on a farm but boy I have seen some strange things. Between a crazy uncle and my Ag days back in high school it was an adventure at times. Old boy I used to work with used to say, "I've traveled the world, been to 2 worlds fairs and even witnessed a cat herding contest, but I ain't NEVER seen anything like that before" A pregnancy check on a cow and maybe we can let him take the baby pigs from the sow so we can cut them. Don't worry Jim pigs aren't fast, aggressive and won't bite either. Yep sold that story once before! Laughed my but off when that poor kid come flying over that fence because that sow was about to tear him to pieces! Maybe even a little chicken sexing for good measure. Talk about squeezing the crap out of something - literally!

SD - I did a quick search and found a few that I found where interesting as to what is used in common processed foods. If your eating - I suggest you come back later. Beaver butt gland, Gly, MRSA bacteria and maggots - That is what's for dinner!

what not to eat.jpg

My mom grew up on a farm, and her step dad (my grandpa) was a poultry man/butcher in a big chicken operation when he was growing up. Grandpa Howard never taught me butchering or sexing (God, I wish he'd lived longer and could've!), but he did teach me carp fishing with corn. :) Howard died when I was 11.

Pigs ain't fast? Yeah, and goats don't bite... I may be a city kid, but I'm no stranger to the farm critters. Remember, I had a rooster and a duck a couple summers back.

That what happens when u leave the farm and the kitchen.

Jim - A rooster and a duck. Let me guess you call your riding lawn mower at home a tractor too? Just giving you crap.

I have a buddy that calls his lawnmower a tractor - I want to smack him when he does that!

My grandfather shared a family recipe on eating carp. He said you nail the carp to a board and then clean the fish. Put the board and carp in the oven and cook at 350 for roughly 30 minutes depending on the size of the fish. Pull them out and add salt, pepper and some lemon juice. Then toss away the carp and eat the board. He said the carp tastes like a$$hole and the board at least has some fiber in it! I miss that ornery old fart.

index.php