Has/Does anyone use seed from the "Big Name Brands"?

35-acre

5 year old buck +
Just curious if anyone uses seed from companies like Whitetail Institute, Antler King, Tecomate, Biologic, etc.?

I know that there are a lot of "do it yourselfers" here, so I suspect not a lot of you do.
Admittedly I am trying to cut a corner.

Here's my situation:

Early last summer, I sprayed off a big portion of a great clover plot with the intent of over-seed it with brassicas, etc. for fall.

. I NEVER should have done that! But sometimes I have to learn the same lesson a few times before it sinks in.

This year I can foresee not being able to get a lot of time to tend to the re-planting. The major hassle for me (where I live) is getting the seed so I was thinking about grabbing a bag from one of these name brands. I know I'll pay more but is that the only offset? I have about 1 1/2 acres that I have been building soil/using T&M for about 7+ years. I don't have a tiller nor do I want to till the soil. So I plan to get this going early. I have to replace a big section and plan to:

1. Seed - over the shoulder hand spreader.
2. Fertilize - same over the shoulder spreader.
3. Spray - 2 gallon hand sprayer
4. Roll - Teeth up on a harrow rake and/or ATV tires covering every inch of the planted section
5. Pray - to the rain gods.

So back to my original questions:
Just curious if anyone uses seed from companies like Whitetail Institute, Antler King, Tecomate, Biologic, etc.?
Is the only offset the additional cost of the seed?

I have used Imperial Whitetail Clover with great success. It is a little pricey, but if not covering a lot of acres, not a big deal. I have used Tecomate Lablab plus for the ebony pea used in that mix. Could not get them locally. They also did great. I have also used another commercial mix or two when they run out of wheat seed around here. I would say they have all done well - just more pricey than buying individual seed from the local farm supply.

I will if I can't find what I want in the small quantities I need. But, it depends on what's on the seed tag. This year, I top sowed my plots with this and liked the results.

20210912_160944 (1).jpg

I used Biologic in the past with good results. It was a mix with WW, daikon radish, and clover. Got it from Tractor Supply leftovers so it was at a good price.

A buddy of mine showed me a site called Domain Outdoor

https://www.domainoutdoor.com/

I got their Chic Magnet mix last year of clover and chicory. The chicory came up really nice. The clover not so much but I've had trouble growing clover for years. I"m sure if it's the seed or me. They even included a hand written note wishing me luck on the season. Thought that was a nice touch.

I have a local hardware/farm store that sells grain seed and some PTT. I always get what I can from them because it's a lot cheaper. But next year I think I'm going to try the brassica mix from Domain.

I am trying WI clover and fusion this year that will be frost seeded into an existing plot that has a few cereal grains, brassicas, annuals and biannual clover in it. I think the main issue is price.
For a 4 pound bag of WI Clover, it is 35$. For a 6lb bag of Jumbo Ladino from Merit (I get alot of my seeds from there, but am not affiliated with them in any way), it is $31. Both have coating material, so I usually at least double the amount of what I think I will need. Merit's Mammoth red clover has always grown incredible well for me in several different soil types and areas. I have also used Seven Card Stud from Evolved Harvest with decent success. For any grain to go with the clover, find a local farm store.

I think they serve a purpose. If you have a small plot that you don’t need a lot of seed for, they work great. Their seed is usually quality seed. Just pay attention to what’s all in it if you are buying a mixture. A lot of times you are paying big money for added seed like winter rye. I have 3 half acre plots, depending on what I am planting in them, I will buy bags of buck on a bag, because it doesn’t make sense for me to buy bulk if all 3 plots all have something different in them.

Last edited:
And then where do you all find the fertilizer? I'm seeing high phosphorus needs and such. Relying on big box stores won't cut it. Tractor Supply doesn't seem to carry anything (i.e. 6-23-30 was linked to one mentioned above). There is a mill that I can try locally but in general it doesn't fit into my travel plans for getting to my place and working.

And then where do you all find the fertilizer? I'm seeing high phosphorus needs and such. Relying on big box stores won't cut it. Tractor Supply doesn't seem to carry anything (i.e. 6-23-30 was linked to one mentioned above). There is a mill that I can try locally but in general it doesn't fit into my travel plans for getting to my place and working.
Honestly, I don't use fertilizers anymore. I try to plant things that need minimal input. This is a plot of the PlotSpike Clover Blend I attached in my earlier post.
20211121_062800.jpg

I buy triple 10 from walmart or tractor supply. My local seed store carries too. If the prices are going to be that high this year I might try to go without though. Although my plots are so small I don't need much.

I buy triple 10 from walmart or tractor supply. My local seed store carries too. If the prices are going to be that high this year I might try to go without though. Although my plots are so small I don't need much.
Walmart 10-10-10 $14.95 for forty lbs yesterday. Tractor Supply 2.5 gal 41% gly $118. Going to be an expensive year.

I won a bag of Antler King Trophy Clover at a NWTF banquet in 2015. In 2016 I frost seeded the mix on a half acre of picked corn. Grew great, looked great, deer and turkey in it all the time. Those turkeys are right at the edge of the plot and an overgrown patch.
20220203_140849.jpg
DSCN1001.JPG

I am lucky the local co op valley wide sells seed by the pound

Gonna try Sanfoin this spring

I won a bag of Antler King Trophy Clover at a NWTF banquet in 2015. In 2016 I frost seeded the mix on a half acre of picked corn. Grew great, looked great, deer and turkey in it all the time. Those turkeys are right at the edge of the plot and an overgrown patch.
View attachment 40985
View attachment 40984
But did it grow and attract trophy buck?

I think they serve a purpose. If you have a small plot that you don’t need a lot of seed for, they work great. There seed is usually quality seed. Just pay attention to what’s all in it if you are buying a mixture. A lot of times you are paying big money for added seed like winter rye. I have 3 half acre plots, depending on what I am planting in them, I will buy bags of buck on a bag, because it doesn’t make sense for me to buy bulk if all 3 plots all have something different in them.
Good point. I have seen BOB seed that had rye grass as a cheap filler. I'd stay far away from any that have that.

Good point. I have seen BOB seed that had rye grass as a cheap filler. I'd stay far away from any that have that.
I made that mistake with my first food plot. Now I check all the labels. It's amazing how many of them have rye grass in them. It does make a pretty green plot.

I did a TNM WI fusion plot last year. It's less than a 1/2 acre and i didn't feel like screwing around ordering a small quantity of seed. And, I was just plain curious on how it would perform

Almost all of them have a high percentage of cheap filler seed - thats how they make their money. But I too have used the store bought seed mixes... we are lucky to have a couple places close by that you can pick and choose and build your own mixes, you might be surprised what you have within driving range.

What is wrong with rye grass?

The seed I avoid is fescue