Hack and squirt recipe

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Hey all. I have never performed hack n squirt before. I had a consultant reccomend for wildlife openings oposed to hinging. What chem herbicide do you all use?

I use straight glysophate.

How far into the tree do you have to hack?

His recommendation was triclopyr. It's expensive....

I use Arsenal (imazapyr). What product you use really depends on the species you’re trying to control. Craig Harper, the UT habitat expert, recommends a mixture of imazapyr and triclopyr for a broad spectrum approach across multiple species. In my case, my target is sweet gum and there is nothing better than imazapyr for that species. The hacks (cuts) only need to go to the cambium layer; just under the bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fill old dish soap squeeze bottles with 3:1 ratio of diesel fuel to Garlon 4 with Triclopyr.

It will kill all woody trees & shrubs.

Last edited:
How far into the tree do you have to hack?

His recommendation was triclopyr. It's expensive....
3 to 1 mix of diesel and triclopyr. Generic tryclopyr is easy to find and isn't expensive. Hack through the cambrian layer and use a sprayer to coat it, or a squirt bottle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Use crossbow in place of triclopyr

Depends on what I’m killing hack and squirt

Honey locust 10% Milestone in water
Osage Orange 20% Triclopyr in diesel
Elm and most other trees Tordon RTU

Cut stump I use Tordon RTU or the 20% triclopyr diesel mix works on most trees.

I kill more trees in a year than most will in a lifetime. I just ordered 5 gallons of Milestone and 10 gallons of Remedy Ultra 10 gallons surfactant $2500. For next years brush control season.

Im at a high % 30 to 40 yr old maple.

Thanks for the info

3 to 1 mix of diesel and triclopyr. Generic tryclopyr is easy to find and isn't expensive. Hack through the cambrian layer and use a sprayer to coat it, or a squirt bottle.

Do you have e a particular store and name of product you use ? I'm in Arizona and will be traveling to my farm in SE Ohio in November so will be purchasing when I arrive. We have co op, Menard, tsc, Lowes as options. Is there a specific percentage of triclopyr?

Do you have e a particular store and name of product you use ? I'm in Arizona and will be traveling to my farm in SE Ohio in November so will be purchasing when I arrive. We have co op, Menard, tsc, Lowes as options. Is there a specific percentage of triclopyr?
I find it at farm stores such as Orchelens, usually under a name such as "brush killer". You might be better off ordering it or checking with you local conservation office by asking for chemical to fight invasives (they often discount chemicals to kill listed invasives). Listen to b12e2wyr748 about mixes. His post was very specific and spot on.

I bought my triclopyr at tsc.

I use Garlon 3 which mixes with water. The active ingredient is Triclopyr - which you can buy generically. Garlon 4 mixes with diesel - not water - as Tree Spud said above.
Tordon causes residual soil action, which may kill other desirable plants. I read that warning somewhere .......... you may want to check before using Tordon.