Growing and stump sprouting tulip poplar, tulip tree, yellow poplar

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
This fall I'm considering dispersing a bunch of tulip poplar seeds in a stretch I want to screen. I know they grow fast and I know they start shedding limbs as they get taller, but what about coppicing them once they get a few years old? What size do they need to be before cutting and allowing to stump sprout?

I cut a area with 6 to 10 inch diater poplar and most did not sprout back. Did it during a hot spell in late july IF I remember right. Most did not sprout back. House was built in 1995 and that was 2013 or so. Probably trees were that age.

tulip poplar seedlings are sold by various places icluding the NYSDEC spring nursery sale.

Sw this place, no experience with them.

Might be better to grow them in a nursery setting and then transplant when 3 years old or so in the dormant fall / winter. Might be able to brnach propogate a polar, much like red dogwood.

Not sure what kind of poplars that big rock trees has, but they plant them from cuttings. There are some poplars and willows growing down the road in the ditch that I plan to advantage of.

At my place the poplars are always getting reseeded by nature and I have to constantly keep them mowed down or my lawn would be forest in a year. The new trees are 5-6' tall each year so I think once you get a few trees big enough to seed you will have new growth without doing anything. Whenever a branch breaks from a poplar the deer are feasting on the dying leaves in the middle of summer when everything else is green and food is plentiful. Maybe they like the dead leaves because it's not easy to find? They will walk right through my plots to eat dead leaves. WTF?

The problem here with cut Tulips is all though they put off a lot of stump sprouts at 1st most seem to die when they’re about 4-6’ tall if they’re not eaten. We also have much better new growth through natural reseeding.