Grafting questions-scions

sandbur

5 year old buck +
i just ran across a discussion via facebook that might explain some failures.

I would like any discussion from those with experience.

Terminal buds on scion might result in poor growth. This might explain some of my failures or slow growth.

Water sprout scion have a toxin which might cause a tree to not bear for a number of years???

Occasionally, the scion can outgrow the rootstock and this leads to incompatibility..my thoughts-more of a problem with areas with typical August drought?

Comments???

I have never heard of such a thing in regards to toxins (doesnt mean its not true). Trees have water sprouts all the time and still produce fruit. Or are you saying that the water sprouts themselves just dont normally produce fruit? I do tend to agreee that the very tip of growth does not seem to produce the best scions.

Last edited:
I have never heard of such a thing in regards to toxins (doesnt mean its not true). Trees have water sprouts all the time and still produce fruit. Or are you saying that the water sprouts themselves just dont normally produce fruit? I do tend to agreee that the very tip of growth does not seem to produce the best scions.
A specific toxin was named and is present in the water sprouts which might require more years before fruiting if a water sprout is used for the scion.

Water sprouts are supposed to have more auxins in them- per the discussion.

Auxins are related rooting.

A specific toxin was named and is present in the water sprouts which might require more years before fruiting if a water sprout is used for the scion.

Which auxin was it? Let's see if I still have some of my plant bio knowledge.