Grafting Proposal.....

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Guys I'm wondering if anyone here that likes to graft (theres a few of you boys) :) that would like to strike a deal on some crabs and pears I'm thinking I'd be looking at like 50 trees on mostly B118 or Antonovka. THoughts?

what is the deal???

Guys I'm wondering if anyone here that likes to graft (theres a few of you boys) :) that would like to strike a deal on some crabs and pears I'm thinking I'd be looking at like 50 trees on mostly B118 or Antonovka. THoughts?
If your gonna do that many trees you should graft them yourself. You will save allot of money!

I don't have any of the root stock or trees to graft with though.

I too would recommend taking a stab at it yourself. It's actually pretty fun and you get a much better understanding of the trees themselves. For me it's turned into a real fun hobby, and just a great level of satisfaction.

You can buy the rootstock from Cummins or other places. And there are plenty of people here that can offer up scions, not to mention places like Maple Valley just about anything you could ever want.

I don't have any of the root stock or trees to graft with though.

I agree with Jordan & CrazyEd. Think about grafting your own. Now's the time most people are putting in orders for rootstock to be delivered next spring. I expect to see scionwood offered here next spring to anyone who needs some or there are places on line who sell it. You-Tube taught me how to graft, bet it can teach you too.

I am ears. Shoot me a PM if you don't want the details posted.

that would be a blast having a scion wood exchange.

start making your lists! I'll have plenty to offer in late Feb.

I have Bosc pear trees and can give you scions in the spring.

Ed, do you have any late ripening apples? I only have Arkansas Black so far.

I am in on a scion exchange. It worked great for me this past year I have tons of varieties to share .

Spur. Depends on what you mean by late ripening. You northern guys have a much shorter growing season than some of us further south. A late ripening tree for the north probably needs to be ripe by the middle of October, other people can get by with mid November. I have a couple varities that mature late, but might even mature too late for me and I am bordeline zone 4.

Spur try Goldrush and enterprise as well as King David and Yarlington Mill all of which are late October into November

I am excited to finally be able to share some scion with you guys this coming spring!

Aero, do you have any of those in your orchard?

Anyone have Goldrush scions available in the spring?

I have Bosc pear trees and can give you scions in the spring.

Ed, do you have any late ripening apples? I only have Arkansas Black so far.

I have around 50 varieties of apples, some are late.

Guys where should I look for root stocks, what kind of root stock do I look for in pear trees? I don't want to grow them at home I'd rather graft then throw them in their final resting place, would this be ok?

If you can keep the weeds killed, protect them from rabbits & deer, and water when needed you should be able to plant them in their final resting place. I've been happy with my rootstock from Cummins. Now's the time to order. B118 is probably the most popular apple rootstock on this board. Can't help you with the pear rootstock

Guys where should I look for root stocks, what kind of root stock do I look for in pear trees? I don't want to grow them at home I'd rather graft then throw them in their final resting place, would this be ok?

What kind of soil do you have? In my area B.118 meets all my needs. It's hardy, grows very well in my sandy soils, produces a large free standing tree, can start producing in 3-5 years.

If you want to graft in their final place just plant the B.118 rootstocks where you want and graft a new variety to them when they get a bit older.

As for pear I was going with OHxF97 which is a large free standing tree. OHxF87 is a little smaller.

I know the majority of guys on this forum say B118, but you really should go by soil type and to some extent winter hardiness depending on where you are located. B118 can be too vigorous on good soil, it is recommended for weak soil, spur type varities of apples or replant situations. Depending on your situation you might give MM106 a look if your looking for a semi-dwarf tree. My grafts did outstanding on MM106 this year. The oldhome x pear rootstocks are resistant to fireblight. I highly recommend Cummins for them, most of my pear rootsock from Century Farms did not survive, vey poor root development on the rootstock.

Last edited: