Grafting new Apple growth.

letemgrow

5 year old buck +
I had a few limbs to trim and the Kerr crab scion had an extra stick that needed plucked anyways. I figured what the heck, might as well try it with these cool temps.

20f6cf5469a372d1f691d10225b101d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to be optimistic in life, but I am afraid that there isnt likely enough optimism to get that to be successful. BUT you dont know if you dont try. Here is to proving it can be done!

I’m new to grafting...why do you think this will fail?

Dormant scion is less demanding,

While dormant the graft union has time to heal before the bud needs nutrition so to speak... its kind of like putting an injured person in a coma and letting them heal.

The new growth on your scion especially when leafed out is immediately dependent on a good flow of moisture and food more than what can pass through the small area of bond between the two plants and more than what it has in reserve stored in the short stick of scion. Its just too much to soon.

The root stock or tree we use is often a little bit ahead of the scion in coming out of dormancy so to speak so its' sap/nutrients are pushing into the scion right off the bat helping to heal and forming that union that can supply just enough to get things started while the union site grows and is able with time to supply more and more of the new growth.

You might get lucky but its not likely is what turkey creek is saying.

There is a window of opportunity in spring grafting - same with bud grafting in the fall. Right time, combination of growth states and right mix of methods with trees. Your green cutting is setting the pace for growth versus the tree. It actually needs to be the other way around... it will want more than the tree - through the handful of cells that are bonded can supply so to speak. Its a generalization and likely not a great explanation I hope it makes sense.
Vegetable grafting and flowers are a different animal and can be softwood or green grafted but I dont know much about that.

Thanks, I’m trying to get the timing right for my grafts. I have a few trees that appear ready, but the majority are not. It should be soon. Is there a stage that’s the best for grafting and one for it being too late?

Still “hanging” in there! It was drooped over big time on night one, but has bounced back since.

9a3b49955d4238dc3787af10af62f47a.jpg

would he be better off clipping the leaves? i know thats common when rooting cuttings.

would he be better off clipping the leaves? i know thats common when rooting cuttings.

I clipped off several before installing that graft; I left the very ends for growth. If I had to do it again, I’d put the scion in deeper where just the end shows.

Thanks, I’m trying to get the timing right for my grafts. I have a few trees that appear ready, but the majority are not. It should be soon. Is there a stage that’s the best for grafting and one for it being too late?

I do not do much cleft grafting, 95 percent is bench grafted, so I can control things and manipulate the timing. I take scion in feb and march and graft typically at the end of april and store my grafted trees for a week or so in wet saw dust/chips then pot them out or direct plant them. I had started pulling trees out of a cooler and potting them and moving them to the outside in a rack system I built. Pulled them into the garage just before this last cold spell. I finished out about a 100 trees today and moved them out. Normally I would have had this done a week ago. I try and have my trees out by may 12th ish.
Anyways I, and speaking only for me I would cleft graft dormant scion to a late or ending dormant time trees and would have done that by now around here. Just about the time the buds start to wake on the tree or a bit before. Im guessing you are at a time you need to graft them. Scion should have been collected by now. I have chanced fresher scion but almost always they fail in time.
sweating out the rootstock - waking up the rootstock has been the best time for me and I typically I like to see the buds swelling to let me know the root stock wants to take off and is going to be pushing sap to the new scion. Once stuff is leafing out its done for me...and I would have hoped that I had it grafted long before that.

Letemgrow,

I am very interested to see how this turns out, please keep us posted.

Got too hot out for the scion.

04691deaac9c7254422dfd2131a7664d.jpg

Dang it!

I totally agree with Apple Junkie. This is a great website to post experiments on.

Progress is made by those brave enough to try something new.