Deer ate my new cleft grafts, will they grow back?

Charles Clear

5 year old buck +
At the end of my yard I had about 6 crabapples I didn't care for. The fruits were small and dropped super early. I cleft grafted them all. Haralson, Martha crab, shavel sharp, and pipsqueak. The grafts were growing very fast with 8" of new growth. I made my graft about 3.5'-4' high. I never had much deer activity there before so thought I'd be safe. Wrong. Dang deer ate all new growth. I know it seems childish, but I am really torn up over it. Great lesson to cage everything from now on. The original scion wood is still there, but the new growth is gone. My question is, think they will grow back? Should I cage them now or just them go and try again next year? Thank you guys. I was so darn proud of these grafts. Learned it all from this site and the great individuals here.

At the end of my yard I had about 6 crabapples I didn't care for. The fruits were small and dropped super early. I cleft grafted them all. Haralson, Martha crab, shavel sharp, and pipsqueak. The grafts were growing very fast with 8" of new growth. I made my graft about 3.5'-4' high. I never had much deer activity there before so thought I'd be safe. Wrong. Dang deer ate all new growth. I know it seems childish, but I am really torn up over it. Great lesson to cage everything from now on. The original scion wood is still there, but the new growth is gone. My question is, think they will grow back? Should I cage them now or just them go and try again next year? Thank you guys. I was so darn proud of these grafts. Learned it all from this site and the great individuals here.

Leave at least one green leaf or branch below the cleft in case they don’t grow back.

Water them well and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave at least one green leaf or branch below the cleft in case they don’t grow back.

Water them well and see.

Thank you Art. That was your Harlason they ate. The rest I bought from Fedco. Your Haralson was taking off like crazy. Such a bummer.

Water them well and see.

Thank you Art. That was your Harlason they ate. The rest I bought from Fedco. Your Haralson was taking off like crazy. Such a bummer.

I can get more scion next winter if you need it.

If there is no green left I think they are toast.