Got a Wild idea brewing! Opinions needed

Not all crops take the same amount of time, not all crops take the same amount of start up capital, not all crops are going to start being in cash right away and not all are going to return the same amount of dollars per acre once they do. You need to find your passion, how much you want to make for what you have and go for it and pray for a little luck.

Also, if you consider going organic then crop rotation is even more important so you'll want to research crops that you can rotate which can compliment each other unless you go the orchard route.

At one time.....I wanted my father-in-law to grow some nice grass for a driving range. I reasoned that if the driving range fell apart....he could always sell the sod. Moral? Keep a back-up plan. Things don't always go as planned. ;)

That might be true for apples or what you grow but that is an over generalization to the organic crop grown. I know many who spray nothing on their crops including myself and some who use additives that are still not like what you mention.
I am certainly not implying that all organic products are applied heavily. What the statement was about is the fact that the organic industry hides much of their production practices and points out all conventional ags so called problems and in some cases uses that propaganda to slant people to organic purchases without coming clean about their own industry. Its not about safety its about perception .

Read the labels on (additives) and they sometimes carry the same danger words that are on conventional , just because a product comes from a plant or is OMRA approved does not make it safe

I am certainly not implying that all organic products are applied heavily. What the statement was about is the fact that the organic industry hides much of their production practices and points out all conventional ags so called problems and in some cases uses that propaganda to slant people to organic purchases without coming clean about their own industry. Its not about safety its about perception .

Read the labels on (additives) and they sometimes carry the same danger words that are on conventional , just because a product comes from a plant or is OMRA approved does not make it safe

I will say that tends to be more from "big" organic produces from what I've experienced. I know I don't trust "organic" items coming in from China or South America but I would believe most small local businesses are not doing such things.

Anyone using the trellis system for growing apples. I have concerns that the wind would rub and tear up tree branches. Does this happen? How do you deal with it?

Have not seen a problem with that , we use high tensile wire 12.5 gauge with a stake on every tree,, stake is tied to tree,, stake is secured to wires then we train the branches horizontal to the wire we use a lot of green plant tie it stretches but is tough .. End bracing is important you need a good size post.
Sounds like a lot of work but is easier once initial work is in place , maint. is much easier once your up and running . True dwarfing rootstock the tree don't get big and do not grow as much so once established training is a simple walk thru maybe twice per year summer work, If you do pick your own , less liability because there are no ladders children can pick easily

Have not seen a problem with that , we use high tensile wire 12.5 gauge with a stake on every tree,, stake is tied to tree,, stake is secured to wires then we train the branches horizontal to the wire we use a lot of green plant tie it stretches but is tough .. End bracing is important you need a good size post.
Sounds like a lot of work but is easier once initial work is in place , maint. is much easier once your up and running . True dwarfing rootstock the tree don't get big and do not grow as much so once established training is a simple walk thru maybe twice per year summer work, If you do pick your own , less liability because there are no ladders children can pick easily
Thank you wooduck! I do not take you sharing your experience for granted. Much appreciated

Corn maze, pumpkin patch, corn pit for kids to play in, helicopter rides. The guy on the corner of 169 in Champlin mn does it and appears to kill it every year.

Helicopters is a lil over board...

Jordan - best thing I can bring to the table if you aregrowing fruit is to make sure the 10 acres is not in a valley (Frost Pocket). Our Home 10 has a small orchard on it that bears fruit about once every 4 years due to being lower than the surrounding grounds... a 10 acre spot higher than all the surrounding ground is best for what you are trying to do...

Well boys it ain't in my name yet but in early OCT we sign on the dotted line an she is all mine! Not gonna rush the business side of things. Gonna build a house first and get settled in. Lots of work to do! Sorry about the crappy pics
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hoping to work somthing out with the neighbors so I can have a 1500 yard rifle range!!! One thing at a time though!
image.jpg

^ Congratulations! A journey of a thousand miles....begins with a single step. And....you took the step. WTG!

Dream big .....or go home. ;)

^ Congratulations! A journey of a thousand miles....begins with a single step. And....you took the step. WTG!

Dream big .....or go home. ;)

Thanks Foggy!
It's only $ right!? My wife an I are excited to begin this journey! Nothing worth having ever came without hard work!

Congrats Jordan!

Way to go!

Congrats.