Got a crossbow

momatt

5 year old buck +
Im in missouri and they opened us up to crossbows. I bought one to tAke my kids during bow season. wanted to take pressure off of our short rifle season and two as my place teems with deer in september and october and then theybecome scarce in November, kids will do better. This thing is pretty impressive. First shots tonight and putting them on top of eachother at thirty yards is easy. The hawke scope is really clear. Xbow is the tenpoint stealth nxt.

Attachments

• C79B6C5C-E540-492D-8771-586038ECC3E4.jpeg
    C79B6C5C-E540-492D-8771-586038ECC3E4.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 48
  • 19815933-7953-4C76-829A-ECCE90B20291.jpeg
    19815933-7953-4C76-829A-ECCE90B20291.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 50
Their making some pretty advanced Xbows these days.
Some people hate them. If it makes for more time with your kids I think it's great.
I started using one last fall.

I get the controversy. When i hunted with my recurve i got a deer about every other year, missed a lot had them duck the arrow regularly. When i switched to a compound 4 years ago i think ive shot 7 since, extended my range from 20 yards to 35 or more. This xbow will be even easier. Not sure i will be any more accurate offhand but will take very little movement to raise and be easy to shoot from a blind and allow my kids more hunt time. I imagine they will be deadly from stands with a shooting rail.

My oldest son uses one has for years, he is very fussy about what he shoots is pretty much buck only and has to be a certain size. The youngest son and I have always used compound bows but the oldest just prefers a crossbow.
They have been legal here for over thirty years, I like that they get people out hunting that might not if they couldn't use them...it has made zero difference on our herd or the hunting.
Hope your boys have great luck with it!

They are now legal full time in IL during bow season. Boiling it down, I also agree that if it's helping put hunters in the woods, then it's a good thing. My dad goes out with his maybe half a dozen times each year. He's taken a few does with it. I don't think it makes any difference on the herd here, also. I see that Ten Point and maybe others are making them similar to the Ravin. Cocked I think the new Ten is like 6" wide.

Yep looks like tenpoint copied off ravin. Its 6 inches axle to axle but the cams stick out a couple more inches. I got the integral sled cocker, its pretty fast but kind of hard to cock.

First thing I noticed last year was there not so nimble in a tree stand.

Verticals limbs kinda go with a tree trunk. Horizontal not so much.

Kinda clunky but you get used to it.

That TenPoint is a hotter commodity then a Ravin now days. With Ravin being sold Monday there will be a flood of them coming from China next year.

Nice. My answer is always that the traditional hunter hated us compound guys back in the old days. Now the compound guys are traditional and some of them don’t like the crossbows. My Halon32 is such a great piece of equipment compared to what I used to use. I haven’t graduated to the crossbow yet but the older I get and the more aches and pains in my aging body I can see it as a way to still hunt when drawing a bow is just too uncomfortable. I’d rather see someone shoot a crossbow than someone who doesn’t have the time or inclination to practice with a compound shooting at deer that are just going to be wounded. If it makes for a better harvest and a more enjoyable hunt than more power to you. Enjoy the time afield. Going to be wet here in Missouri this weekend. What county are you located in? I’m in St. Louis county but hunt in Crawford.

Crossbows are still bows. They enforce most shooting form that requires more practice with a compound and more importantly, you don't need to draw in the presence of game. Other than that, the ballistics are the same. Arrows easily deflect and the fastest crossbows are only about 1/2 the speed necessary to overcome string jumping. They are still a short range weapon for a short range sport.

I'm still 50/50. Early in the season when it is warm I use my Mathews Switchback. As cooler evenings require a bit more clothing and cause my arthritis to flair up, I move to my older Parker Hurricane. I've spent a lot of time quieting it and it is plenty fast for me. Most of my shots are 20 yards or less. 25 is pushing the envelope for my recovery risk tolerance with a compound and 30 with a crossbow.

Thanks,

Jack

I have an older Ten Point. It came as a package with the Acudraw cocking system and a 3x scope that has a Christmas tree reticle. I had to quit shooting arrows at the same target spot as they were taking off the fletchings or "William Telling" each other. I have the Steady Eddy for when I am sitting in a popup blind. I have arthritis in both hands that makes shooting my Mathews impractical. I practice with several times before the start of each WI bow season. Even so, I limit my shots to 30 yards or closer. I bought some of the biodegradable one time use decocking arrows to use at the end of each archery hunt. I can fire that bolt into the ground and not worry about it.

I have an older Ten Point. It came as a package with the Acudraw cocking system and a 3x scope that has a Christmas tree reticle. I had to quit shooting arrows at the same target spot as they were taking off the fletchings or "William Telling" each other. I have the Steady Eddy for when I am sitting in a popup blind. I have arthritis in both hands that makes shooting my Mathews impractical. I practice with several times before the start of each WI bow season. Even so, I limit my shots to 30 yards or closer. I bought some of the biodegradable one time use decocking arrows to use at the end of each archery hunt. I can fire that bolt into the ground and not worry about it.
I have not heard of these decocking bolts, will have to look for them, seems like a good idea if they are reasonably priced.

Crossbows are still bows. They enforce most shooting form that requires more practice with a compound and more importantly, you don't need to draw in the presence of game. Other than that, the ballistics are the same. Arrows easily deflect and the fastest crossbows are only about 1/2 the speed necessary to overcome string jumping. They are still a short range weapon for a short range sport.

I'm still 50/50. Early in the season when it is warm I use my Mathews Switchback. As cooler evenings require a bit more clothing and cause my arthritis to flair up, I move to my older Parker Hurricane. I've spent a lot of time quieting it and it is plenty fast for me. Most of my shots are 20 yards or less. 25 is pushing the envelope for my recovery risk tolerance with a compound and 30 with a crossbow.

Thanks,

Jack

The Switchback may be my favorite Mathews bow of all time. I lost my eyes so to speak 2 years ago. I miss my compounds, but the crossbows are impressive and I can see ok with a scope. I took my first buck last year with a xbow. It almost seemed too easy, but I am still able to hunt and for that, I am grateful

I'm going to have to go a crossbow because my back is too painful on most days to draw my compound anymore. I drew on a buck last year and I thought my back was gonna leave me. ( I missed - arrow hit a limb !! ) I'll get the "Accu-draw" I believe it's called, on the 10-points, so I don't have to kill my back to cock it. My favorite time of year is the fall bow season, so if I can still hunt with a x-bow, it works for me. Getting older sucks - all except for knowledge gained by now !!

If anyone wants to give a crossbow a try, but doesn't want to invest a lot of money, I have been really happy with this one. I have two actually and will probably buy another (friends/family hunting/shooting at my place).

https://www.amazon.com/CenterPoint-...536240760&sr=8-2&keywords=crosspoint+crossbow

I mostly shoot from a box blind, resting it on the window..... yeah, it's not the smallest or lightest but it works.

I don't think the deer cares what's killing it. I have both, and have killed deer with both, but it is easier with a crossbow (killed a nice buck 2 years ago left handed with a borrowed crossbow. Proud as a peacock of that buck, and the deer died just as nicely as with a compound. Some people are just happiest being unhappy.

I have a reverse limb Horton and had my 9 year old nephew ready to hunt in 4 shots over the weekend. Great way to get kids involved

I have not heard of these decocking bolts, will have to look for them, seems like a good idea if they are reasonably priced.
or just use an old bolt with a field tip like I do

That TenPoint is a hotter commodity then a Ravin now days. With Ravin being sold Monday there will be a flood of them coming from China next year.
Ravin bows are made in Superior Wisconsin.