Good mineral site recipe?

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
Not actually a food plot question, but related. I’m looking for a good mix/ratio of minerals that actually help deers antler growth & that will Benefit the does. You read this. And that about what actually contributes to helping antlers grow, but some many options on this. I feed protein off season. What’s everyone’s go to self made mix for a mineral site that is helping with your deers antler growth?

I'm also looking for dicalcium phosphate. I would like to start three permanent mineral sites on my property this summer.

Also, what was the name of the salt people were talking about, which is leftover bits from Rack Rock or some such? Trophy Rock, maybe?

I have tried many over the years including the dicalcium phosphate recipe. The best 2 I found were, 1/2 a tm block with a bucket of lucky buck poured over it and loose tm salt with washing soda and grape kool aid

I have used the mix that treedaddy has listed. Buy all of that in 50lb bags and comes out to be about $80.00 for 250lbs. The di cal is the best for the deer but they won't touch pure di cal so the salt and trace make it more appealing. One year I added molasses to make it more desirable and my camera just showed several pictures of a bear chowing down on the entire pile. I don't use molasses anymore---live and learn.

There is a lot of studies out there that say mineral does not help antler growth in wild herds. I view it differently than trying to grow larger antlers. Having worked with cattle and other domestic animals I know for a fact that a good mineral program helps keep vet bills down. I view mineral as a possible way to help keep the herd healthy, which increases the possibility of large bucks. I don't say this to discourage you, but in my mind the first step in gauging a mineral program won't be to look for larger antlers but to look for larger body sizes and better coat quality (health).

I have tried many over the years including the dicalcium phosphate recipe. The best 2 I found were, 1/2 a tm block with a bucket of lucky buck poured over it and loose tm salt with washing soda and grape kool aid
Why the washing soda? Just curious

There is a lot of studies out there that say mineral does not help antler growth in wild herds. I view it differently than trying to grow larger antlers. Having worked with cattle and other domestic animals I know for a fact that a good mineral program helps keep vet bills down. I view mineral as a possible way to help keep the herd healthy, which increases the possibility of large bucks. I don't say this to discourage you, but in my mind the first step in gauging a mineral program won't be to look for larger antlers but to look for larger body sizes and better coat quality (health).
Agreed a healthy herd deer is very important.

Not actually a food plot question, but related. I’m looking for a good mix/ratio of minerals that actually help deers antler growth & that will Benefit the does. You read this. And that about what actually contributes to helping antlers grow, but some many options on this. I feed protein off season. What’s everyone’s go to self made mix for a mineral site that is helping with your deers antler growth?

It turns out it IS a food plot question. The best minerals to use are P, K, and N in amounts according to your soil test. This is because the best delivery system for minerals are plants. There are no studies showing any benefit from point source mineral supplements for free ranging deer. The general reason is that deer eat a wide variety of native plants. Each plant has unique abilities to mine different minerals from different levels of the soil. The industry that markets mineral supplement base all their studies on livestock or penned deer where access to native foods is limited.

Also, there are risks when using point-source attractants. Additional close contact of deer at these sites increases the opportunity for disease spread. If you omit salt and sugar (attractants) from a mineral mix, it will be completely ignored by deer. One more indicator that minerals are almost never a limiting factor in antler size or herd health.

If heard health is you primary concern in free ranging deer (not in a high fenced operation) your best course is to avoid mineral supplements. Age and nutrition are the things that you can control that will have the most impact on herd health.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm also looking for dicalcium phosphate. I would like to start three permanent mineral sites on my property this summer.

Also, what was the name of the salt people were talking about, which is leftover bits from Rack Rock or some such? Trophy Rock, maybe?

Trophy rock is a subsidiary of Redmond’s. If you can find someone that carries Redmond’s Agricultural salt for livestock, get some of their 10 fine mineral salt. Stuff is basically the exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ikeman, I will get some of that.

Does anyone know where to get dicalcium phosphate?

Does anyone know where to get dicalcium phosphate?
Look for local farm and ranch type stores that carry poultry and livestock feed. Probably can find some in the poultry section.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Ikeman, I will get some of that.

I also saw that they recently launched a 10-fine trace mineral salt with garlic added. It is “supposed” to help control flies some. Might be worth grabbing that one if the price is similar.

I also saw that they recently launched a 10-fine trace mineral salt with garlic added. It is “supposed” to help control flies some. Might be worth grabbing that one if the price is similar.

Garlic powder is common with the cattle guys who don't want to use pour-on for fly control (and some other things). Google "garlic powder cattle" and do some research... It can be bought in bulk.

Do feet like garlic? Do they need it to keep flies away?

Do feet like garlic? Do they need it to keep flies away?
Feet? Not sure, but if you need to rid your feet of flies AND you use garlic to do it your significant other may not stick around long.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk