Goldrush harvest time?

The few I've had over the last couple years have not ripened by Nov 15th in 5b. I'm guessing yours will ripen some years but not all for you Ed. They may ripen in storage, though.

It's not like I'd be able to pick them on THAT particular date ;)

ate one I picked on the way into my bowstand and it was ok but not great they are still hanging great none dropping

ate one I picked on the way into my bowstand and it was ok but not great they are still hanging great none dropping

This is the experience I've had as well. I will observe mine for a few years and those trees that I want for eaters may get topworked to Golden Russet or Grimes Golden. On the others, the deer will eat the almost ripe Goldrush just fine I'm sure.

Wondering if any of you northern guys had any more input on Goldrush ripening. I was up in TN over Thanksgiving and took a field trip to a local orchard (near Chattanooga). I went because they had Ark Black, Stayman, and Goldrush. I also gave York a try. Long story short, the Goldrush were one of the best eating apples I've ever had. Very crisp, Very high Brix, but bright acidity to offset that. I know the term "flavor explosion" gets used a lot, but the Goldrushes definitely qualified. I had planned to bring them home to test how well they store, but most of them didn't make it home with me. My in-laws are grocery store apple eaters, and were shocked at how good some of these lesser known varieties are. The other highlight was York. Very crisp, tart/sweet/vinous. They have been great both fresh, and baked. I was surprised York hasn't received more attention but I guess it is popular in PA. The Staymans were mealy to me (never had a crisp one after several attempts in MI, VA, and TN) and the Ark Black (a favorite of mine) were left on the tree too long (according to the orchard owner) and were actually mealy as well, which I didn't think was possible with Ark Black. So, back to the original question, do we growers colder than say 6b have any chance of growing Goldrush of the quality they get in the more southern states?

DS - My camp is on the border of zones 6 and 5 - northern Pa. - and our first Goldrush to bear had 5 apples on it. Once the first one was sampled, the other 4 were picked and eaten over several weeks in early November. They were hanging firmly and they tasted great !! Maybe next year we'll let some hang to see when they actually drop on their own. They grow and ripen just fine at my camp's location. They are in full sun fields. Most winters, coldest temp. is about - 10 to - 15 degrees. That's only for a couple days ....... 0 to 10 degrees is more normal for cold.

Haven't tried a York apple or seen one at a roadside stand to give one a shot.

That's encouraging BnB. We usually get down to about -15 or 20, but have hit -25 the last couple of winters. I am hoping I can get GR to ripen because it is a fabulous apple. Also had a single-varietal Goldrush (hard) cider from VA that was fantastic. I'm surprised you haven't seen a York in PA, as the web makes it sound like one of PA's most famous and popular apples. It dates back to the early 19th century. I was surprised I hadn't seen more of it because it is a very tasty apple and good keeper, but further research reveals very high susceptibilty to a multitude of diseases. In addition to those that we found in TN, we also had York in mid-Oct in VA near Charlottesville. Great eater there as well.

I have a Goldrush and Honeygold planted side-by-side. Both are young trees and had apples a week ago. When I returned today, Goldrush had dropped and Honeygold still hanging. I'm in NY, zone 5b.

DS - The catalog from ACN has a " Red Yorking " - a sport of York - in it. They describe it as a premier processing apple. I have to think if York was a popular apple, ACN would be propagating it. ( Not trying to argue your point !! :) ) I've not even heard of it spoken about here, but then many GOOD EATING apples don't make the grocery stores or become public hits. Your description has me curious now, so I'll have to ask around. Some smaller and hobbyist growers raise off-beat and uncommon or older heritage varieties. Maybe I can locate some.

The most easily found apples at orchards in Central and Eastern Pa. are : Macintosh, Cortland, Northern Spy, Winesap, Empire, Idared, Macoun, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious.

DS - The catalog from ACN has a " Red Yorking " - a sport of York - in it. They describe it as a premier processing apple. I have to think if York was a popular apple, ACN would be propagating it. ( Not trying to argue your point !! :) ) I've not even heard of it spoken about here, but then many GOOD EATING apples don't make the grocery stores or become public hits. Your description has me curious now, so I'll have to ask around. Some smaller and hobbyist growers raise off-beat and uncommon or older heritage varieties. Maybe I can locate some.

The most easily found apples at orchards in Central and Eastern Pa. are : Macintosh, Cortland, Northern Spy, Winesap, Empire, Idared, Macoun, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious.

I think York WAS an important commercial apple in PA in the past. It seems to be more widely grown in VA, NC, TN these days. Couldn't agree more about taste not determining apple popularity. It is known as a good baking apple (which I can confirm), but it is also a delicious fresh eater. It was described as an "imperial keeper", thus the often seen name, York Imperial. Many nurseries carry it--CFO, Boyer, Grandpa's, etc. It does not appear to have good disease resistance, but still surprised I haven't seen it mentioned much by the apple heirloom lovers. There is actually a plaque commemorating the discovery of York and its importance to commercial ag in PA, located in York, PA.

1-2-104-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0a5m1-a_349.jpg

I have a Goldrush and Honeygold planted side-by-side. Both are young trees and had apples a week ago. When I returned today, Goldrush had dropped and Honeygold still hanging. I'm in NY, zone 5b.

That's good to hear on the HG. I planted one because we've had dried apples from HG that were outstanding. As an added bonus, should be a great deer apple.

Here is a picture of one of my Goldrush trees taken on 12/05, most apples are still holding tight. Just about all of the apples of the other varieties have fallen including Liberty, Enterprise, Querina and Jonafree. Honeycrisp and Freedom still have a few hanging. My camp is in Western NY where the Temps. reached -25 F several times last winter.
IMG_4671.jpg

That's encouraging BnB. We usually get down to about -15 or 20, but have hit -25 the last couple of winters. I am hoping I can get GR to ripen because it is a fabulous apple. Also had a single-varietal Goldrush (hard) cider from VA that was fantastic. I'm surprised you haven't seen a York in PA, as the web makes it sound like one of PA's most famous and popular apples. It dates back to the early 19th century. I was surprised I hadn't seen more of it because it is a very tasty apple and good keeper, but further research reveals very high susceptibilty to a multitude of diseases. In addition to those that we found in TN, we also had York in mid-Oct in VA near Charlottesville. Great eater there as well.

Everything I've heard from people in MI is that you should keep them on as long as possible, but then keep them in storage to finish their "flavoring". Grandpa's grows them in Michigan, so I'd say they'll be good. I don't know about anything lower than zone 5.

Natureboy - Nice shape on the GR tree. Looks like a good producer for the future. I tried one of our GR apples the first week of November and it was a little tart / a little sweet, hard and juicy. Delicious !!! We haven't stored any yet to get the full effect.