Golden Delicious?

Chainsaw

5 year old buck +
Cut some scions today off a yard tree in town that is still holding some apples which I’m told is normal for that tree. By it’s size It looks to be a tree of about 75 years old but it is actually only 25 years old. It has survived many winters with temps in the minus twenty to thirty- five below zero actual temperatures. It also produces large crops most years and without fertilizer had great growth. The current owner which is the second owner figures the tree to be a Golden delicious. It had many root sprouts and some water sprouts as well. Have any of you seen a Golden Delicious to be so cold hardy and to regularly hold it’s fruit well into winter And even have a few left into March?

Last edited:
I have several Golden Delicious. They're a good late Fall drop apple, but I don't remember ever seeing any holding fruit past early/mid December (Zone 5).

Golden Delicious is generally considered to be a borderline hardy 5a tree. If you've got one that is routinely surviving -25 to -30 temps, it is noteworthy.

Yep - family members have one in their yard - 13 yrs old. Heavy cropper most years. Was holding well into January this year. Survived a -38 F very cold winter last year. Zone 4B.

My parents have two we always called golden delicious. Not sure if they really are but they have survived all our winters for 40 years. I got some scion of that tree in town I told you about. It was still holding a lot of apples. That is a big yellow apple.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the feedback. There are varying reports on the growing zone of Golden Delicious with some sellers saying zone 4 and others zone 5. This is an interesting quote from Wikipedia about the tree;

"This cultivar is a chance seedling, possibly a hybrid of 'Grimes Golden'[4][5] and 'Golden Reinette'.[6] The original tree was found on the Mullins' family farm in Clay County, West Virginia, United States, and was locally known as Mullin's Yellow Seedling and Annit apple. Anderson Mullins sold the tree and propagation rights to Stark Brothers Nurseries for $5000, which first marketed it as a companion of their Red Delicious in 1914.[7]

In 2010, an Italian-led consortium announced they had decoded the complete genome of the 'Golden Delicious' apple.[8] It had the highest number of genes (57,000) of any plant genome studied to date.

'Golden Delicious' was designated the official state fruit of West Virginia by a Senate resolution on February 20, 1995.[9] Clay County has hosted an annual Golden Delicious Festival since 1972.

Other West Virginia apples include 'Grimes Golden', and 'Guyandotte', which is believed extinct."

The Purdue disease resistance chart shows the Golden Delicious to be susceptible to all four major apple diseases yet this particular tree thought to be a Golden Delicious looks quite healthy and at twenty-Five years old it has stood the test of time. Could it be there are a couple of look alikes here confusing things? A rake from the original owner (Bob) still hangs from the branches of this tree is noteworthy as it is said that Bob used to go out every day thru the winter and knock down apples for the deer. Scions from the tree in question have been grafted onto standard rootstock and we'll see how it produces on this property. In any case the GOLDEN DELICIOUS is an apple that I for one overlooked based on the Purdue report. Chummer and I will both plant each apple side by side and see if we have each "discovered" the same apple but from different sources.

It gets a bad rap because of it's "red" cousin, but it's a great tasting apple right off the tree.

It gets a bad rap because of it's "red" cousin, but it's a great tasting apple right off the tree.
I imagine you know that Red and Yellow Delicious have no "relation". The original red delicious (Hawkeye) is also a great tasting apple right off the tree.

While the Hawkeye may be good, what's sold now as Red Delicious is not close. Reference to cousin was in name only.

What's sold now as Yellow or Golden Delicious is also not worth buying and has zero resemblance to a tree ripened fruit.

It total agreement with regard to store bought GD.

I love Golden Delicious apples, and I think it's very underrated. We get them imported from Italian growers. I planted a tree in Ohio, and it gets bad CAR. If someone has a cold hardy GD tree, I would love to graft one up in Ontario next year.

Telemark, I plan on approaching the landowner again next winter and if it works out will get some extra scions and ship some up. The good scions were very high in the tree so I just took the few suckers sprouting from the trunk. There were lots of ground shoots but of course guessing they were below the graft assuming it was in fact a grafted tree, I left those.

Sounds great. Please let me know.