Glyphosate shortage and prices increase

I am not sure what the going price is today, but I just bought a 1 gallon of the generic Gly at Tractor Supply for $40.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the going price is today, but I just 1 gallon of the generic Gly at Tractor Supply for $40.

I buy it in bulk (30 gal drum) and it lasts me for several years. I think the last time I bought it I paid between $9-$10 a gal that way. I'm on the list with the coop for when it next comes in. They won't even quote a price until they receive the batch. I'm expecting to pay between $30 and $40 a gal when it comes in.

No fertilizer, no glyphosate, and no rain. We’re gonna need to be magicians to get plots this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fertilizer, no glyphosate, and no rain. We’re gonna need to be magicians to get plots this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is brilliant. Instead of blaming it on inflation and availability of inputs they can blame it on climate change. That gives them three outs for everything, climate change, Covid, and race.

That is brilliant. Instead of blaming it on inflation and availability of inputs they can blame it on climate change. That gives them three outs for everything, climate change, Covid, and race.
Just wait until we have to do this without seed too.

Today I heard some democratic ( I assume) dolly bird on the radio say “ this world war three thing is all the more reason to quit drilling for oil and go renewable energy “.

I guess she doesn’t realize batteries don’t come from this country.

The same farmer who gave me the heads up about prices going up said his source who told him that has now told him that there is no shortage of farm chemicals and such, they can get anything, the price has just been gouged because farmers made so much last year and commodity prices are so high now yet.

The same jug I paid 55.99 for last year is now 119.99.

I have a couple year supply so hopefully it comes back down by then.

I also bought double on all the other chemicals I use last year and that has certainly paid off as well.

Good to get lucky once in a while.

The same farmer who gave me the heads up about prices going up said his source who told him that has now told him that there is no shortage of farm chemicals and such, they can get anything, the price has just been gouged because farmers made so much last year and commodity prices are so high now yet.

The same jug I paid 55.99 for last year is now 119.99.

I have a couple year supply so hopefully it comes back down by then.

I also bought double on all the other chemicals I use last year and that has certainly paid off as well.

Good to get lucky once in a while.
I work for a fertilizer company/ag retailer that does not sell any pesticides. I can assure you that there is no consensus to increase prices because grain prices happen to be higher. I am not at all in the sales side of the industry, but it is extremely cut-throat and what margins exist in a particular retailer are typically exploited by a competitor. The main cause for glyphosate price increasing was because of hurricane Ida (https://www.agweb.com/news/business...-idles-largest-glyphosate-production-plant-us). When something like this happens, retailers place large orders hoping to buy-in at a cheaper price. The squeeze on supply is not pretty for the price until the dust settles.

I work for a fertilizer company/ag retailer that does not sell any pesticides. I can assure you that there is no consensus to increase prices because grain prices happen to be higher. I am not at all in the sales side of the industry, but it is extremely cut-throat and what margins exist in a particular retailer are typically exploited by a competitor. The main cause for glyphosate price increasing was because of hurricane Ida (https://www.agweb.com/news/business...-idles-largest-glyphosate-production-plant-us). When something like this happens, retailers place large orders hoping to buy-in at a cheaper price. The squeeze on supply is not pretty for the price until the dust settles.

Agree. Sounds like someone's conspiracy theory.. A real one this time. :emoji_laughing:

Nope sure didn’t. I called them the other day and they said it was back ordered and they could refund me or keep holding the money until it came in. I told them to hold it on the chance it ever comes
I asked for my refund today.