Glyphosate shortage and prices increase

I tried to give you guys a heads up Aug 2, 2021
I took your advice and stocked up back then. Thanks I'm good for about 3 years.

Was at the mill the other day looking for some wr. I asked how much a bag of potash was. $45 . Potash is the only thing I was low on according to soil test. I think I'll pass on the potash this year.

I looked at our local tractor supply. Don't remember the price exactly but it was well over $100 for the same jug of Gly I bought last year I got for $55 last year. I'm going to try to do without for the food plots this year. I do have an infestation of stilt grass and now mile a minute that I've been at war with. I'll save what I have left for that although the stilt grass, I might give up on. I can't even seem to make a dent in it.

I looked at our local tractor supply. Don't remember the price exactly but it was well over $100 for the same jug of Gly I bought last year I got for $55 last year. I'm going to try to do without for the food plots this year. I do have an infestation of stilt grass and now mile a minute that I've been at war with. I'll save what I have left for that although the stilt grass, I might give up on. I can't even seem to make a dent in it.
I saw it at $134.99 here (Northern PA) for the same amount of gly I got for around $50 last year. I was able to grab 2 small jugs of cleth for $31.99 each on the clearance rack that also cost me ~$50 each last year so that was a good deal. Also lime that cost $4.05/bag in past years is up to $5.29/bag.

I saw it at $134.99 here (Northern PA) for the same amount of gly I got for around $50 last year. I was able to grab 2 small jugs of cleth for $31.99 each on the clearance rack that also cost me ~$50 each last year so that was a good deal. Also lime that cost $4.05/bag in past years is up to $5.29/bag.
Ya that's about what our lime is a bag too. A bag of triple 10 was 14.99. I didn't think that was too bad. This is the one time I'm not jealous of these other guys and their multiple acre plots. Well maybe I still am. haha

Would you be willing to share what you've tried on the stilt grass so far?

Would you be willing to share what you've tried on the stilt grass so far?
I've only used gly on it. Gly kills it really well. The problem is there is something like a 5 year seed bank in the ground just waiting. I haven't tried a pre-emergent yet. Most of mine is confined to the driveway at the moment. I've just been trying to keep it from creeping into the the woods. I'm more scared of the mile a minute at the moment. That stuff grows a foot a day.

I've only used gly on it. Gly kills it really well. The problem is there is something like a 5 year seed bank in the ground just waiting. I haven't tried a pre-emergent yet. Most of mine is confined to the driveway at the moment. I've just been trying to keep it from creeping into the the woods. I'm more scared of the mile a minute at the moment. That stuff grows a foot a day.
There doesn't seem to be any research on ideal conditions for either of those. This is one of my favorite subjects.

Do both of those come on strong first thing in the spring, or are they warm season creeps?

Ya that's about what our lime is a bag too. A bag of triple 10 was 14.99. I didn't think that was too bad. This is the one time I'm not jealous of these other guys and their multiple acre plots. Well maybe I still am. haha
I often temper my jealousy knowing my little 1/4 and 1/2 acre plots are way easier to maintain and alot cheaper...no shortage of critters either...I will be putting in another 1/2 acre plot at my house to bring my total there to 1 whole acre....and next year it will go to 1.5 acres and maybe even 2 the year after that...it might be too much to care for ...or I'll just have to splurge and get a tractor and real implements...

There doesn't seem to be any research on ideal conditions for either of those. This is one of my favorite subjects.

Do both of those come on strong first thing in the spring, or are they warm season creeps?
The stiltgrass is definitely a warm season creep. Don't seem to come on strong until mid summer. I've thought about trying to drown it out with something that grows quickly in the spring. The stuff grows on my mostly rock driveway though.

The mile a minute I just found this past summer, and it was already mid summer. I'm still learning about that one. A buddy of mine has an infestation of it on his property and he says it's a nightmare. Plus it has little thorns on it to add to the fun.

Ordered 2 jugs of the imitation and some Roundup quick pro Max. Both got cancelled after having been accepted

I used to buy gly bulk from the fertilizer company, it was a big barrel. They weigh it out and in charged the difference.

one thing I found was spraying thistle, if you use a hand sprayer you use a lot less.

The stiltgrass is definitely a warm season creep. Don't seem to come on strong until mid summer. I've thought about trying to drown it out with something that grows quickly in the spring. The stuff grows on my mostly rock driveway though.

The mile a minute I just found this past summer, and it was already mid summer. I'm still learning about that one. A buddy of mine has an infestation of it on his property and he says it's a nightmare. Plus it has little thorns on it to add to the fun.
I wonder if a solid stand of rye wouldn't box out that stilt grass?

I wonder if a solid stand of rye wouldn't box out that stilt grass?
I tried oats one time. Just because that's all I had. It's a driveway so it gets pretty hard, pretty quickly in the spring. I'm wondering if I would have better luck with clover. A harder seed that I could plant earlier when it was still soft. Maybe I'll try rye too. Can't hurt and way cheaper than spraying now. Took me almost a full 2.5 gal jug to spray the whole driveway plus food plots.

Thank you. Just bought some. Felt like I was getting a steal at $69 a jug
Did yours ever come? Mine did not, but I got charged way back in January. The online store still says it's out of stock and the current price is $145.

Last edited:
Did yours ever come? My did not, but I got charged way back in January. The online store still says it's out of stock and the current price is $145.
Nope sure didn’t. I called them the other day and they said it was back ordered and they could refund me or keep holding the money until it came in. I told them to hold it on the chance it ever comes