GHR as cover crop

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I used Ground Hog Radish as a cover crop last fall for chicory and clover. I had it left over so I used it instead of WR. My question is, the deer did not touch much of the bulb of the radish as they are all still there. I'm assuming just let them decay in the soil for good organic matter and wait for the chicory and clover to pop this Spring?

I used Ground Hog Radish as a cover crop last fall for chicory and clover. I had it left over so I used it instead of WR. My question is, the deer did not touch much of the bulb of the radish as they are all still there. I'm assuming just let them decay in the soil for good organic matter and wait for the chicory and clover to pop this Spring?
Yep. Great OM.
How well did your bulbs develop? Mine never get that big because deer pound the tops before nice bulbs can grow.

W. Pa.

Mine got huge. I wish I knew how to post pics, but I don't know how. When I plant the TTT, in another plot, they get bigger than softballs. My deer numbers are low tho. Wish I had better deer numbers but it's what I'm dealt. I'll drive 30 minutes down the road and see 15 deer out browsing on a farm. Crazy.

In my area (zone 7A), turnips need terminated in the spring but GHR does not. The tubers rot and add OM and you don't have an issue with bolting like turnips.

Thanks,

Jack

You will get out there one day when they are decomposing and know it well before getting to the plot of the wind is in your face.

If you think you may have some regrowth in the spring you can always run over them with a cultipacker and pop the root at ground level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get out there one day when they are decomposing and know it well before getting to the plot of the wind is in your face.

If you think you may have some regrowth in the spring you can always run over them with a cultipacker and pop the root at ground level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sure will!!!! Man does it stink.

I typically just mow off anything that grows/bolts come spring and then it meats the plow or tiller.

Our GFR are rotting now at camp. There are 2" dia. holes all over the plot where the roots were. Great for aeration of the soil and adding OM. Lime and fertilizer will get right down in there !!