Getting some corn hunting plots in this weekend.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
IMG_7355.JPG

Will send some more pics later this weekend. I am trying to get 20 acres of corn hunting plots in BY MYSELF before the rain hits tomorrow. I have to go by the farm a couple days this week for work so I got a head start late afternoons and in the evenings. I normally no till my corn, or I chisel and disc, but for these plots I broke out the mega tiller. It is a beast 8 foot at a time, rated for 120 HP and runs stead all day long at 4 MPH. It is really faster than plowing and running a disc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the 20 acres of corn? Just for hunting purposes? If so, I’m jealous.

Is the 20 acres of corn? Just for hunting purposes? If so, I’m jealous.

Yes, sorry to make you jealous :)

I actually have about 55 acres of corn just for hunting now that this last 20 is planted. I cut back on corn for the last two years, once by choice and once due to work schedule. My “neighbors” have leased out some of their land and people have outlined my property with those darn spin feeder. By my calculations that will provide 346 tons of corn standing for the deer (225 bushels per acre), and we have about 60 acres of beans to leave up for the deer. Let them compete with that 200 pounds at a time :)

What corn variety are you planting?
I've been wanting to try some just for something different and wondered if a newer roundup ready variety or on older one like Boone Co White would do best.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Okay, I am still on the spinner feeders and it is morning. I really don’t care when my neighbors or people nearby get a big buck. I really don’t care if it is one that spent 75% of his life on me. The funny thing is they think I care, and I don’t. I am happy for them if they do it legally. Generally speaking, I have single handedly changed hunting and management in my area. 15 years ago they all drove deer all day every day. There were not food plots no nothing. After about 7-10 years of us killing the biggest bucks they had ever seen and more of them than they had ever killed, they came around to our way of thinking. No one drives anymore, most every farm has foodplots. The only downside is they have stopped shooting does for all intensive purposes and they don’t appreciate how important their “if it is brown it is down” strategy helped with does. I have one land owner that has aged out so to speak and he lets a less than respectable distant relative run his place so there are lots of hunters, and another neighbor has aged out and his grandchildren run things. Their ways seems to be to put a spin feeder every 100 yards and if I measured correctly they are all 2.25 inches away from the property line. It drives me nuts. If they would simply put them 50 yards back I really would not care. I could go talk to them, but really in the grand scheme they are not bad neighbors and for now I will let it go because they are on their property. I thought about hanging a stand over top of every one, but haven’t done that. Corn is my offense my corn and bean hunting plots are centered in my property and I have had them for years (except those 2) and they will suck the deer away from the spinner children.

What corn variety are you planting?
I've been wanting to try some just for something different and wondered if a newer roundup ready variety or on older one like Boone Co White would do best.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Well there is a loaded question if there are any corn farmers lurking. Seed variety is like a man’s hunting dog, he always plants that best. Here is my opinion. We/I have planted a lot of varieties over the years and I alway come back to Pioneer. I planted 1197 this year which is a triple stacked corn and is probably regarded by all Pioneer farmers as their best seed. If you look at yield data it always outperforms all other Pioneer varieties. For a plotter you need to consider what is important to you. First, are you planting upland or bottom land. Different varieties do better in different locations. You want a corn with good standability. You don’t want your corn lying on the ground October 15 (yes my buddy planted a silage corn last year with poor standablity characteristics). I tried to explain it to him when he bought it but he didn’t listen. Come December when it was all on the ground and he didn’t have the cover and food he wanted he understood. To answer you question, AS long as the seed is roundup ready so that you can spray it and keep down the weeds newer may not be a lot better for a plotter. Talk to your local co-op and they will likely tell you what grows best in your area.

Just got my corn/bean plots in yesterday. Plots dried out just enough to get on them after all our rain the last few weeks and just before the rain today. I didn't think I was going to get them in. I head out of town in a week, glad to get them in. I had to learn to not worry about the neighbors or what they are doing. I have neighbors who hug my property line also. Frustrating.

WTNUT: I hear you on the feeders. It would drive me crazy as well and with them putting the feeders so close to your line, it’s almost like they are busting your balls. Also, I don’t think they can compete with 60 acres of Beans!!!

They think if they get close to the line they can kill a large buck easier because it is “easy to kill one on me”. Well I have unlimited access to every inch of my farms and trust me, it ain’t easy to kill a 5.5 year old or older buck!

It ain’t easy to kill a 5 year old is right!!!! If it wasn’t for the rut, a lot of them would die of old age.

I have a few stands that are 16 years old. Here are my thoughts. These old stands are old because I don’t want anything in those plots other than clover (as a primary crop). I keep the PH around 6.8 for these plots. They are ALL 85 percent Alice Clover, and 15 precent red clover (star fire). All were started in plots we cleared from inside the timber by removing ALL the stumps and trees. They all get good light and are well drained. Each was planted with rye and or oats. I let the grains and clover go to seed each year. The grains use up some of the extra N, I think. I let the clovers go to seed in the summer after the grains have went to seed. Every one is sprayed for unwanted weeds and grass once a year. Each is mowed about once a month depending on they have went to seed. Each gets the PROPER amount of fertilizer each year. That is NORMALLY 150 pounds to 200 pounds of 9-27-27 every 12 to 18 months. I may have no tilled some seed into these plots once since 2002, but not for sure. I really don’t see why clover can’t be a plot that goes on and on. Think of your yard. Once you get it in your yard you damn near can’t kill in out.

Well the corn is up and off to a start. Here are some pics from this weekend. I didn’t like to but had to spread some lime with the corn already up. There was a little damage from tires, but not bad. IMG_7488.JPGIMG_7491.JPGIMG_7489.JPG

We also brought up some orange toys to get some extra fields mowed. They were too tall to spray IMO, and I decided to mow, let a week or so pass and then spray. We are going to plant beans and maybe some mixes. IMG_7501.JPG

Just got my corn/bean plots in yesterday. Plots dried out just enough to get on them after all our rain the last few weeks and just before the rain today. I didn't think I was going to get them in. I head out of town in a week, glad to get them in. I had to learn to not worry about the neighbors or what they are doing. I have neighbors who hug my property line also. Frustrating.

Well beans go in Friday and we will be done :). Bring on the spin feeders ha