G30 m7 rootstock

D

dipper

Cummins inventory is getting thin and I just got my invoice from them. I'm into grafting but I also want to diversify on the apples I already have. I am mainly going standard type of trees but I am going to go with an outside row of more semi standard trees. This orchard purpose is a mix of personal use and wildlife.
The trees are going to have to withstand a high deer density. I anticipate all leaves within the browse line will cease to exist. With deer also standing on their hind legs to get what they can.
Cummins has some on my trees in g30 and m7. Should I even bother with them? This is also sandy soil, but I'll be adding large amounts of mulch.

Here is my order. I really want these varieties just uncomfortable with the rootstock
00433611-876B-48DB-B364-8E04BFA5A1A3.jpg

g30 is interesting, it is suppose to be really precocious, but it will require a permenent stake, but equal in size to m7. if winter damage is a concern one expert I heard give a talk said m7 was horrible for having issues with winter damage to the top part of the tree.

If you wanted to get some of those varieties onto b.118 rootstock, you might find some on this forum that could supply scion wood for grafting this Spring (assuming you can still get b.118 rootstock, I haven't checked).

I'd be able to supply Goldrush, Frostbite, and Newtown Pippin.

My m7 honeycrisp died back to the trunk last year. I won't get any more of them.

I have had good luck with the G30 and just be sure to put a cage large enough to protect the lower branches on dwarf trees which will start giving you fruit in year 2 or 3 if you have the same luck I did!!!

Gonna scratch the m7 thanks guys.
Decisions decisions

I had some m7's come through last winter in fine shape. Snow cover before temps get brutal is the key
I don't know if I want to be wagering on that. It would be nice to have some of these apples ASAP.
Thanks for the tip nh!

I spoke a little too soon the other day. I went to check on my Honeycrisp today and it's rebounding nicely from near death this past winter.

It'll need some substantial pruning, but it needed that before it mostly died anyway. I should've cut it to a whip the moment I put it in the ground. :)

I spoke a little too soon the other day. I went to check on my Honeycrisp today and it's rebounding nicely from near death this past winter.

It'll need some substantial pruning, but it needed that before it mostly died anyway. I should've cut it to a whip the moment I put it in the ground. :)
If I can prevent this from happening the next couple decades I have to. M7s are out g30s should be out too. I want to maintain somewhat of a plot around the trees. I'm not gonna deal with stakes.
I'm in no real Rush for this orchard so I can pick at it my slow way.