Fruit trees for Spring 2023

^^ that's awesome. Good for you guys.

Finished caging the remainder of 42 apples I planted this year. Took 3 weekends to get them planted, mated, painted, and caged. I was only planning on 4 trees from Blue Hills but Chainsaw’s wife called for me to take some trees out of his nursery. I kept digging and she kept piling them in the truck. Ended up with 38. These are all native trees that Dave found. All believed to be late dropping. There were tags on about 1/3 of them. I cleared an acre a couple years ago and wasnt sure what I was going to do with it. Well now it is the Chainsaw’s leg of the orchard.
That’s awesome!! Dave had sent me scionwood from 2 trees a few years ago, no name or anything, but ones he was excited about. I just named them NY Wild 1 & 2. Unfortunately that was the year we had terrible drought and neither made it. Hopefully what he sent me is now in your orchard for you to enjoy. I’m sure many people will have good hunting under Turning Point trees which is reason enough to smile about this hobby we love!

Can't wait to see how those trees pan out from chainsaw.

I found some late witner hanging red crabapples on a few similar trees in the catskills by big indian wilderness. I have a scion growing on an old mcintosh tree. If it's a decent tree,
I'm calling it frost valley. Planning to put it on dolgo and trying it in both zone 5 and zone 3 adirondacks.

Is all winter hangover a zone 3 crab? The one in the grow pot is looking good and the ones I parked on mature trees budded out.

Is all winter hangover a zone 3 crab? The one in the grow pot is looking good and the ones I parked on mature trees budded out.
I’m pretty sure it’s fairly winter hardy. Most trees that come from SLN are.

Started a new hobby this morning...grafting! Got a couple grafts done before work of Clark's Crab (from 39th parallel) that someone on the forum suggested (check it out it is unbelievable!) and a couple of Galarina grafts also. Doing an experiment to see if 2 scions in 1 spot will do better than 1. Many thanks to Prof Kent (and his videos that probably saved at least 2 of my fingers) and others on here for the advice and guidance..
IMG_8816[1].JPGIMG_8818[1].JPG

I planted 2 Kerr and 2 buckman from Blue Hill last weekend. I think i'm about tapped out on apple trees for deer. Have room for maybe 3 or 4 more on the land but i've got that many extras started at home that might get transferred.

We planted Red Baron, Haralred, & Triumph on my farm in Minnesota.View attachment 52450View attachment 52451

Nice. Did you get them from Wallace by chance? I got red baron from them last year and they are looking good so far this spring. Also just saw that they added triumph (on semi-dwarf rootstock) which is one I wanted to try in the yard for people apples.

SLN grows AWH in zone 3, in extreme northeastern N.Y. state near Canadian border. Should be safe.

The below is one of the trees planted in my yard last year which was my first year planting apple trees. I’ve not had this many flowers on any trees yet, would it benefit from pinching the flowers off?

Also, any concerns with spreading pelletized weed and feed fertilizer for the lawn and dandelion control with the apple trees on the lawn?

2B89972B-07D5-470E-BE38-03367009001C.jpeg

You could let the blossoms on for the bees, and then as the tiny baby apples form when the blossoms wither, just snip them off. That'll leave the nutrients & energy to grow the tree instead of fruit. That's if you want a taller tree so deer can't reach the limbs.

I've never spread weed & feed granules around the camp apple trees. Can't help you there.

You could let the blossoms on for the bees, and then as the tiny baby apples form when the blossoms wither, just snip them off. That'll leave the nutrients & energy to grow the tree instead of fruit. That's if you want a taller tree so deer can't reach the limbs.

I've never spread weed & feed granules around the camp apple trees. Can't help you there.

This particular tree was an extra red baron deer tree that became a people tree and its 15' from a detached garage and about 40' from my house so not concerned about deer. It's on standard rootstock so would actually prefer it not maximize height but do need to build stronger wood to support fruit.

A quick google search tells me it would be best to keep weed and feed away from the trees which makes sense. I'll just have to be careful.

2023 grafts

b1d80b53a989feb99c75a55757357898.jpg

4f7b9c16c55b52da5e547e660d5bc36f.jpg

A few started to leaf out this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m putting 40 assorted shrub seedlings in the ground tomorrow and I only have about 70’ of 5’ tall fencing left. Would it be ok to plant 3-4 shrubs in each 3’ diameter cage and then split them up next year or will it set them back to much? The shrubs were delivered today with only a days notice and I will be at my property bright and early tomorrow. 20 elderberries, 10 highbush cranberry and 10 arrowwood viburnum. I actually forgot I even ordered them. Lol

Shrubs like that you can plant close and just leave them. 3-4 in a cage isn’t a big deal. They’ll be fine.

2023 grafts

b1d80b53a989feb99c75a55757357898.jpg

4f7b9c16c55b52da5e547e660d5bc36f.jpg

A few started to leaf out this week.

The bottom one threw me for a second. I thought you grafted swamp white oak onto apple rootstock! 🤣

The bottom one threw me for a second. I thought you grafted swamp white oak onto apple rootstock!

Yeah, not the best background for that picture

Wnd gypsy,

Aot of weed n feed has 2,4D and will damage fruit trees You might be able to get away with a light spraying of 2,4D of the weeds in the spring. Large mulch beds around ornamental trees is pretty common way of keeping trees alive around weed treated lawns.

Saint Lawrence Nurseries is near my camp in the adirondacks, about 30 miles or so.

I took this past Friday off and spent the day grafting apples. 15 onto dolgo rootstock that i planted last year at my hunting property and about another 12 behind the house, top working wild stuff that came up in the old pasture. This was my first try, so I'm anxious to see if they take.
I'll take this as a good sign for my first go at grafting. I'll pinch it off, but felt good to see!
Right now I'm better than 80% on the grafts that took. Pretty happy with that.

Attachments

• 20230513_100722.jpg
    20230513_100722.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 23