Found a huge crab

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
This is a pic at a friends farm. They thought it was an apple with small apples. I am not sure how old it is, but darn sure it wasnt planted last year lol IMG_5458.JPGIMG_5458.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice tree. Needs some trimming.

What size are the apples?

Anything over about 3/4 inch works for deer and sometimes smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it makes lots of fruit.

It does need trimming. It is crowed by two soft maples that were likely planted after the crab. The apples are probably an inch or so, and it does make a ton of fruit. I am going to get some scions in late winter.

What a find! I sure wish I had natives like that!

Nice-looking water sprouts on it for grafting too. Nice and straight. Dandy tree to find.

Good Find.

For those of you who know more about crabapples than I, how old do you think that tree is? It is by far the largest diameter crabapple tree I have ever seen.

You could not pay me enough to cut it down.

Nice find! Take a bite out of one and see how it is flavor or sweetness wise.... do the deer come into it?

ps... those water sprouts look perfect for grafting

I have posted these pics before but shows that some crabs on their own roots can get quite big. The camera case in this pic is something like 4-1/2 to 5 inches in size. This is at an arboretum and expect this tree is well over 30 years old. Can they push 50 years, dunno
DSC00070 (Medium).JPGDSC00071 (Medium).JPG

I always like a few of the smaller bird type crabs around because they are great pollinators, sometimes hold fruit really late and feed a lot of the "other" wildlife that I enjoy seeing.

I like those tags they used too!

We don't have a lot of other wildlife. Even squirrels are rare. I would think maybe some birds would go after them, but that basically means magpies and jays. Doves are mostly gone by then, and capercaillie don't seem to eat apples. It's too rainy here for hares and rabbits, so whatever hits the ground is probably food for mice and slugs, maybe foxes.

I need to take some pics of the apple trees at our family camp in Northern PA. The camp was built in 1974 and the apple trees predate the camp by quite a few years. They don't produce much anymore and are in dire need of trimming.