Foodplot Layout

I think your first idea with narrow plots is along the right lines.If you have more than 1 food plot close together how do you know they aren't just out of sight at the other one?I will have to go back and look at your other thread.This the fun part when getting new land.I haven't heard of the author of the book you refer to has he written anything else.

I’m only aware of the one book and it’s only in electronic pdf with links to reference videos in it. https://extremedeerhabitat.com/

What. On. Earth. You think a mature buck would call that place home? I'd love to have that guy as my neighbor.

Let me offer another perspective..

1) Plot Location - Figure out where to locate the plot based on CLEAN access.
- Great options that help access are 1) Topographic features like ridges, ditches or creek bottoms 2) Screening like conifers, EW or MG 3) Existing manmade buildings / structure. If you cannot locate a plot with clean access going in and out, on the winds you need to hunt... It's useless.

2) Plot Shape - Best plots encourage deer use along the entire length to eventually bring them into range during shooting hours.
- Great options are 1) Long and narrow 2) Horseshoe shape 3) V Shape 4) Hourglass shape. If your plot doesn't consistently get deer into bow range.. From a hunting perspective... It's useless.

3) Stand Location - Best stands are those that 1) Consistently have deer in range (pinch points, etc) 2) Give the deer the wind entering the plot and most importantly 3) I'm repeating myself, have CLEAN access. If you cannot locate a stand without getting winded on the hunt, entry or exit AND to use for the winds deer safe entering the field... It's useless.

How many? The fewer the better. Better to have 1-2 centralized feeding areas than 15 satellite plots. I can't imagine the frustration of always being a step behind..

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I agree, it is pointless to have stands where you cant access them without deer busting you going in or coming out after the hunt. The food plot establishment route is all new to me, I grew up hunting big ag country and have killed a fair number of decent bucks over the years. Those previous stand locations were basically in travel corridors along the edges of big ag fields. There was always a chance a deer could wind you because bedding areas were typically narrow creek bottoms. In my experience deer bedded far enough apart that the odds of a deer being down wind were higher than I would have liked. Trying to pinpoint a stand close enough to where deer were entering fields caused more disruption than not. Trying to hunt a 80 acre crop field is a lot more challenging I venture to guess than having deer come from a general direction to a small food plot, in terms of knowing their relative path of travel.