Foodplot Failure - What now?

SoInHunter

Yearling... With promise
I did throw in mow on August 28th on about 3.25 acres across 3 plots. I had sprayed 2 weeks earlier and got an excellent kill. I spread approximately 50# oats, 5# mrc, 7# Crimson, 4# Radish and 1.5# turnips per acre. Southern Indiana proceeded to have our driest month on record in September and also our hottest September. Zero rain fell from 8/28 until 9/22 when we received about 1/4" of rain. Checked the plots today and some spotty oats and basically nothing else. I had noticed a lot of turnip/radish seedlings from the dew over the last month. I assume they sprouted then withered and died because today there was hardly anything. Sooo what now. I plan on spreading about 75# of rye per acre before our next rain, whenever that may happen. Forecast shows nothing good in the next week. Is there anything I can add w/ the rye and get worthwhile growth this late in the game?
Also have been hammered by EHD so the fall isn't looking too great.

More rye! That would be my answer. I'd put down ignorant amounts of rye if I were you.

You'll likely get better answers shortly from people far more experienced than I am.

Good luck, my friend!

I agree with Scott, throw down more rye. Only thing that will reliably grow at this point in the fall.

Keep it simple. Rye... and enjoy your November hunts regardless....anything can happen in the rut. As long as a couple of doe find it and use it regularly, It’ll do the trick.

I did throw in mow on August 28th on about 3.25 acres across 3 plots. I had sprayed 2 weeks earlier and got an excellent kill. I spread approximately 50# oats, 5# mrc, 7# Crimson, 4# Radish and 1.5# turnips per acre. Southern Indiana proceeded to have our driest month on record in September and also our hottest September. Zero rain fell from 8/28 until 9/22 when we received about 1/4" of rain. Checked the plots today and some spotty oats and basically nothing else. I had noticed a lot of turnip/radish seedlings from the dew over the last month. I assume they sprouted then withered and died because today there was hardly anything. Sooo what now. I plan on spreading about 75# of rye per acre before our next rain, whenever that may happen. Forecast shows nothing good in the next week. Is there anything I can add w/ the rye and get worthwhile growth this late in the game?
Also have been hammered by EHD so the fall isn't looking too great.

If you really want, WR is the best option, but I'd consider doing nothing. Typically when we get an acute outbreak of EHD, it takes a couple years to rebound. Unless you were doing QDM on scale, the food you plant won't be having a measure impact on the herd. This might be the year to forget about food plots and hunt bucks. Typically after an EHD event, deer numbers drop pretty precipitously and the habitat has a chance to rebound a bit. Often nature provides sufficient food in cover to reduce food plot usage. Typically hunting plots are used to attract deer for doe harvest to control numbers. If you are going to let does walk for the most part, is the effort and benefit of a food plot really worth it?

A lot will depend on your local situation and goals, but this is a perspective to consider.

Thanks,

Jack

^^^^ Broadcast WR for OM in the soil ... find a nice guided hunt elsewhere ... :emoji_wink:

Looks like the consensus is to just spread rye heavy. I can get that done before the next rain.
Should be a good set up to try throw and mow beans in the biggest plot next spring (2 acre).

Everyone has already said so. But winter rye. May not do much this fall without some moisture. But it will be green in the spring and provide fawning food.

Hunt the pinch points. You don’t need food provided by you. You’re deer may shift but they won’t go 10 miles away.

What is your average first frost date?

I would add about 50# of winter wheat to your 75 # of winter rye, it gives a little variety in the grains.

I agree with adding some winter wheat---I did a rye/wheat combo myself because I've never tried wheat before but heard how deer prefer wheat over rye, but I firmly believe rye is better for future crops and durability(will grow anywhere except in standing water). Deer are taking a break from plots right now because they are on the acorns big time here in Minnesota so the plots are getting a chance to put on some growth before the deer get 'em.

If you have 30-45 days before first frost and this is an early attraction bow plot I would add sunflowers. They are cheep and as fantastic of a fall attraction as you're going to find.

Average first frost is Oct 15. Although the lowest temp in the 10 day right now is 51 with numerous 90+ days so I doubt we see a frost anytime soon.

Main reason for my food plots is to try and keep the deer from the ag fields on my neighbors during daylight. This has worked well the past couple years as they have complained about the decreased deer population (while im seeing lots).

I put down oats real late last year and they were heavily browsed.

Oats too along with Rye

Radish are real fast and grow in cold,.. just a thought. the radish greens will be browsed after first frosts