Food source working its magic

gunther89

5 year old buck +
Well this past week the weather was brutal in WI. With temps well below zero for lows and high's not much better, the deer pounded our corn, beans, rye and clover. It's looking like we should have quite a few 3.5+ year old bucks for the 2015 hunting season!

looks like a good bunch of bucks hanging around!

That's a pretty impressive batch of bucks to get through the season! Nice work! How many acres are you working with?

Good looking bucks, great to see that many make it through the season. Good luck with them!

Hey Gunther,

What covert cams do you run? I just picked up an MP8 black I just deployed it the other day....won't be checking it for a few more days. How do you like the ones you have? I got a good deal on mine so that was the main deciding factor....read a bunch of reviews...but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Our farm is 300 acres. The Covert cameras are Red 40 and the MPE5. I absolutely love the Red 40 and the MPE5 is a good camera for the price. As long as all these bucks survive we will have 4 bucks that will be 4.5 and older. We are blessed to have some great land!

Envious.

Our farm is 300 acres. The Covert cameras are Red 40 and the MPE5. I absolutely love the Red 40 and the MPE5 is a good camera for the price. As long as all these bucks survive we will have 4 bucks that will be 4.5 and older. We are blessed to have some great land!
That sounds like a great chunk of dirt to have!
I was thinking about the red 40 because I found some good deals on those as well. The biggest con to me is coming from using moultries...the coverts are not 16:9 wide angle....I feel like I might be missing things on the periphery.

I don't think you will be missing much. If you decide to go with a Red 40 I don't think it will disappoint you.

On the cameras, what pics are from the Red40? They all look very similar.

I am also looking at the MP8 Black cam on Amazon for $115....

Nice buck crop... wow....

All these photos are from a Red 40

That is a lot to look forward to. Nice deer

I'm envious for even seeing that number of deer.

Beautiful land!!

Very nice bucks wish I was your neighbor!!

All these photos are from a Red 40

Is that a railroad bed in the background? Good loooking land and herd by the way.

No this happens to be in a bottom with draws surrounding it. This land used to be pasture ground and my cousin and I are slowly starting to convert it over to better deer habitat.

If you 're converting it to deer cover, I'd plant a sprinkling of spruce, crabapple and Washington Hawthorn in that old pasture. Those 3 will give you a good foundation for cover & you can add some other shrubs or grasses as well. The crabs also drop apples for handy food. Spruce for bedding / thermal cover, haws draw grouse like candy and make great bedding for the deer as well. Bonus : hawthorns drop little red berries that sprout into LOTS of free seedlings to either thicken up where they sprout or be transplanted to other spots !!

That is some awesome looking country you have there !! Nice batch of deer to have hanging around post-season too. Next summer / fall ought to be sweet.

We have thought about planting some type of spruce to give it some more cover. We have roughly 15-20 wild apple trees that always produce apples. We have a draw with a natural spring and long sidehill that needs to get logged and we plan to do that in the next year or two.