Food plot to plant now for quick attraction.

Booner21

5 year old buck +
I am looking for what you all would plant to keep deer coming around right now in the Midwest. I have a very small patch of timber less than 2 acres next two about 2 acres of switch grass on the edge of town that has no appreciable cover close however the surrounding corn is going to provide a lot of cover soon. This spring noticed a deer or two hanging around, and a month or so ago noticed a brand new dawn in the yard first Deer I have had since I’ve moved in 5 years ago. The doe and her dawn have taken a liking to my small garden sweet corn patch. I have donated it to the deer at this point and would like to keep them coming out as my boys and I just love watching them. What would you plant in a small area to keep the deer coming out beans, buckwheat, peas? I have no desire to hunt them but would like to keep them around for our viewing pleasure. It is illegal to feed or supply mineral both off and during season or that is the route I would take.

Having deer in my yard when I first moved in seemed like a pipe dream but figured allowing some wsg and early successional habitat to come back wouldn’t hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on your latitude. But if it was me, I'd throw a mixture of oats and winter wheat out there as a cover crop for a white clover planting. Do a soil test and amend as appropriate first.

Oats, buckwheat and an anual clover like crimson or berseem.

I don't think you can plant anything that will ensure their continued presence. You are in their home range and that is the starting point. You can plant attractive food sources and it may help, but deer will use different parts of their home rang more and less as the seasons changes. Food is only one factor. I'm not trying to discourage you from planting for them, just saying there are no magic beans.

If I were going to plant something in your situation, it would be a plot of long-lived perennial clover and chicory. It will provide more months of deer food than about anything else. As seasons change and different plants peak, they will move around, but clover provides a consistent anchor.

Thanks,

Jack

For quick attraction I would plant oats. Throw in some clover and chicory with the oats and you'll have clover and chicory coming on strong in the spring.

I understand there is no magic beans however I am just trying to keep them coming into the middle of my yard to eat in the Garden a little longer. As often as I am seeing them i believethey are bedding very close

Beans, buckwheat, sunflowers all grow very quickly this time of year and deer can't get enough.

I would plant a feeder and a trace mineral block right in the very back of your yard if that’s where you want them.

I would plant a feeder and a trace mineral block right in the very back of your yard if that’s where you want them.

Illegal in most of WI.

Illegal here also or that is what would have been done

Beans, buckwheat, sunflowers all grow very quickly this time of year and deer can't get enough.

Thanks I was thinking beans and buckwheat. Close enough I can hit it with the hose if the rain Dries up

Thanks I was thinking beans and buckwheat. Close enough I can hit it with the hose if the rain Dries up

If it gets real dry during your summers, you may not have to plant anything. Just put your hose on a timer and water. Attraction is relative. When other plant matter is dry and yours is lush, it is attractive!

Illegal here also or that is what would have been done

My phone doesn’t show your location on it.

I understand there is no magic beans however I am just trying to keep them coming into the middle of my yard to eat in the Garden a little longer. As often as I am seeing them i believethey are bedding very close

Multiple bird feeders spread over 30' - 40', a couple of feed blocks (not trace mineral) for the "squirrels & raccoons", a 6' plastic pool with water. Longer term plant some apple trees.

Multiple bird feeders spread over 30' - 40', a couple of feed blocks (not trace mineral) for the "squirrels & raccoons", a 6' plastic pool with water. Longer term plant some apple trees.

Interesting you say that. There was actually a little controversy here over the no-feeding laws implemented because of CWD. There was some question if homeowners in the suburbs could be cited for bird feeders if they were mounted within reach of deer. I'm not sure how that worked itself out, probably in favor of the homeowners, but the issue was probably caused by a few folks intentionally trying to skirt the regulations rather than folks honestly feeding song birds.

in most states bird feeders can be illegal, if there are complaints about them attracting wildlife and it doing damage to anyone's property, mostly due to BEARS
but its one of them things on the books that can be used if a warden wishes to or has enough complaints to make them want to enforce things!!
as for what to plant, I woudl think, clover would be something easy near a house and blend in well like grass, to passer by's
but if goal is to have things long term, I would start to think about fruit tree's as mentioned, and then other crops to either plant under/around them, or??
I will also second the kiddie pool if you like to see wildlife, I been using them for yrs, I typically use a 4 ft one only or 5 ft,, I get them at dollar stores in Fall after summer for like 50 cents each and buy 5-10 at a time, as here I get a lot of bears and they will break them some times when they lay in them, or when I am emptying them
plus a LOT less water to refill and keep clean, as I have to re fill mine about every other day!
but I get all sorts of things using them, from coons, skunks, deer, bears, foxes, even seen bobcats in them!

669.JPG806.JPG808.JPG155.JPG039.JPG

I would plant something that can be browsed and keep growing, unless you like planting often in this 100 degree heat!

Thanks for the reply’s I do have 5th leaf apple trees just putting on a few apples and a pond guess I could break out the bird feeder. Currently have a yearling buck and a doe and a fawn that are regulars. The north is alfalfa which they seem to be spending quite a bit of time in lately. Just to give you a scale of what we are talking about. Blue is my garden red is switch and early successional growth. May have to rethink my decision to not hunt them, my two year old said shoot them daddy tonight when they came out.
ae73860c01795fc5a0f509770f78b8c7.jpg

It is close enough to the house and small enough I have 4 young boys that are very anxious to help, at least the first time.

Geez that's a dream property! Nice job. I think you need to be careful with the bird feeder. If it's anything that's placed outside the deer aren't supposed to be able to eat it. Doubt anything would ever happen, but ya never know. Leave it to Illinois to remove all the fun.