Food plot suggestion for low spot?

Deer Kar

5 year old buck +
I have an area that is just screaming for a new micro plot the only problem is it is subject to possible short term flooding. Site has ph 7.3 and pretty good OM. Almost full sun. Close to bedding area/sanctuary moderate deer density. I'm guessing pretty high grazing pressure no e-fence? I'm in usda zone 4a Mn Looking for some type of annual. Property already has multiple plots on higher land but this spot has been in the back of my mind for years. I'm just not sure what to plant because it is a lower area?

I have an area that is just screaming for a new micro plot the only problem is it is subject to possible short term flooding. Site has ph 7.3 and pretty good OM. Almost full sun. Close to bedding area/sanctuary moderate deer density. I'm guessing pretty high grazing pressure no e-fence? I'm in usda zone 4a Mn Looking for some type of annual. Property already has multiple plots on higher land but this spot has been in the back of my mind for years. I'm just not sure what to plant because it is a lower area?
I did WR in a spot that is under water from November on. It was still green when the snow covered it.image.jpg

Deer Kar, where are you located, most parts of central Mn, that has low ground, has a ph of 6.0 at best. In Isanti county low ground with high organic matter, 10% or greater has a ph of 5.8

Deer Kar, where are you located, most parts of central Mn, that has low ground, has a ph of 6.0 at best. In Isanti county low ground with high organic matter, 10% or greater has a ph of 5.8
The spot is located in Todd/Ottertail county area and has a river running threw it with an ag field about 150 yards away. The property has wild extremes in PH. I have an oak flat that is 6.5 and another food plot that is 7.5 they are less than 1/4 mile apart. I due soil samples about every 3 years. I attributed the vast differences to the old river channel and ag runoff. Could be wrong I'm far from an agronomist. I have veins of sandy loam feet from clay? I have no green thumb but plots usually turn out ok dry or wet years due to the crazy soil makeup I have their. Just look for something to add to a area that is subject to flooding ....

I agree with Fish on this one, jap millet is inexpensive and easy to grow. I don't have first hand experience planting it, but I used to hunt a farm where the farmer used it around the edge of a swampy area he had and there were deer in it all the time. Not sure if they were browsing it or bedding in it, but they used it for sure.

First time I have heard "Jap millet". Sounds interesting I will have to look up more info on it. Guessing it is an annual ??

I posted this before the Habitat-Talk "crash of 2014" :)...I too have some lower areas and have been messing around with planting that I would call non traditional or at the very least, less talked about food sources for deer. Jap Millet has been working for me. Spray/Broadcast/Mow/Pack around middle of July. Nice cover and the seed heads are eaten right off the stem around first week of Sept. Pretty inexpensive plot. I am going to try Wells rice this year along with continuing the Jap millet.

View attachment 177
What part of the state are you in?

Becker MN, Zone 4. If you have lower peaty type soils, it wouldn't surprise me if you grew 6' millet with zero fertilizer. I do and I'm not a very good farmer that is for darn sure. I wouldn't do a soil test it can be grown in just about any soil. Again, if I'm growing it...it is pretty much idiot proof! It tolerates flooding very well and will volunteer seed itself the following season. Assuming the deer, turkeys, ducks, and song birds don't eat all the seeds ;)

If you use it for screening, don't make the mistake I did and plant it to thick. It gets very leggy and will tip right over in a moderate wind.

Forgot to add...In my location, there is Ag all around me. I have a couple of small food plots with clovers, chicory, and radishes. The deer pretty much have their pick of what they want to eat and for whatever reason they pick the millet early in the season.
Did you pick up the seed locally ? I used a forage sorghum last year for screening a certain area and seeded it to thick. The stuff got stunted except for the ends were I started to run out there it was 9-10 feet tall. (Trying EW for screening this year).

When did you plant it last year?

Going to pick up some "Jap millet" and try if on one of my plots that got flooded out hopefully the water will go down enough for me to get to it. What is the preferred seed rate?