fishing reports

Cape Cod last week- Ana amazing time. 25 fish, 2 over 40… all in 1:30
0f6e434020c8f7ce1a2d6f403761e2b6.jpeg

622ca8bff413f739973a779c3e8fbe2b.jpg

9b5d2b0e76b1ceca1d7abbf0d7b9330c.jpg
Never caught one. But I’m told if you cut 1 inch chunks and boil that in water with a cup of sugar until it floats then dip in melted butter it tastes like lobster. Some day I’m going to target them and test that theory.

Nice. Brother claims striper fishing down by Virginia/NC border has gone to crap for numbers.

Good thing some tuna have still stuck around OBX. But nothing like what Bill got has made it back to the boat yet. Nice 30-50 lbers on average though.

Never caught one. But I’m told if you cut 1 inch chunks and boil that in water with a cup of sugar until it floats then dip in melted butter it tastes like lobster. Some day I’m going to target them and test that theory.

Never heard that before. I might give that a try sometime soon though. Have cooked monkfish which are definitely a good go and know why it’s called poor man’s lobster.

I can say that a simple grill w olive oil and herbs, then finish with a little butter and lemon easily has it as good as grilled fish get.

I set the kids bow up with a fishing reel. Now he can enjoy his two favorite sports at once. It took a few misses, but I think he is dialed in now. 2 for 3 tonight, before switching to smallmouth fishing.

Attachments

• 42125.jpeg
    42125.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 42124.jpeg
    42124.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 39
Yellowfin tuna. I didn’t catch a fish. I sit up in the top and drive. Oh, and bark out orders, it’s a good gig.

190105EF-D7F1-43C6-B325-828A7D54ACB7.jpeg

Annual family trip to the Cass chain. Turned into a strictly nighttime walleye bite for us. 2nd straight yr my little Bethany caught the biggest of the week. My 77 yr old mom got 4 good keepers late 1 night. She had a ball this yr, which was quite a miracle since driving home from the trip last yr she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Had a brutal year of nonstop chemo, whipple surgery, and more chemo. Hair grew back with the "chemo curl", shown in a nice pic with my sister. Good memories up there.

Screenshot_20220815-220626_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220815-220346_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220815-220646_Gallery.jpg

Annual family trip to the Cass chain. Turned into a strictly nighttime walleye bite for us. 2nd straight yr my little Bethany caught the biggest of the week. My 77 yr old mom got 4 good keepers late 1 night. She had a ball this yr, which was quite a miracle since driving home from the trip last yr she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Had a brutal year of nonstop chemo, whipple surgery, and more chemo. Hair grew back with the "chemo curl", shown in a nice pic with my sister. Good memories up there.

View attachment 45278View attachment 45279View attachment 45280
Way, way to much good stuff there to comment on. Lets Just say this is awesome on so many levels. I hope Bethany really remembers it.

View attachment 45278View attachment 45279View attachment 45280

Good stuff Mort, I am sure your Mom appreciates everyday she can spend time with you guys. When you have a diagnosis like hers, everyday is a gift!

I fished some small lakes near my land in N MN From Aug 13-15. I got 3 nice walleyes, a nice limit of sunfish, and a few dozen bass/northerns. I was fishing out of 12 foot aluminum boat. Like to row around some of the smaller lakes in the area. I never encountered another boat or fishermen.

IMG_1073.JPGIMG_1074.JPGIMG_1084.JPG

I fished some small lakes near my land in N MN From Aug 13-15. I got 3 nice walleyes, a nice limit of sunfish, and a few dozen bass/northerns. I was fishing out of 12 foot aluminum boat. Like to row around some of the smaller lakes in the area. I never encountered another boat or fishermen.

View attachment 45504View attachment 45505View attachment 45506

I’ve been thinking about getting one of those fancy Hobie fishing kayaks for the same purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy the 12 foot boat and oars when I'm all by myself or if I have someone else light with me. Good cardio and upper body workout, dont have to worry about a motor failing, its fast, easy, inexpensive, and efficient. I always catch fish. Takes an average of 60-90 seconds to load/unload the boat and be on my way. If you dont like the kayak you can always get your money back out of it real easy. I have a lot of fond memories from small shitty boats. They seem to catch more fish then the big boats.

IMG_9527.JPG

Why can't you eat false albacore?

Why can't you eat false albacore?

Don’t taste very good. Some say it’s best a raw sushi but but I’m not a sushi guy. We just let them go.

Strippers are also known as “poor man’s lobster”. Delicious!

Took Logan and Tyler to Cherokee, NC for the opener this year. Some areas were elbow to elbow, but we stayed away from the crowds. This was Tyler's first trip in over 20 years and I was glad he joined us. We had heavy rain Saturday morning and it dirtied up the water pretty bad plus it came up 6-8". We managed around 250-270 trout (no tags) between the three of us in two days, ate some good food, and enjoyed harassing each other. I had the big fish with 3 over 4# and broke one off in the 7-8# range.

I will be in Helen tomorrow for the tournament, then Logan and I are back in Cherokee later in April for 4 days. We unfortunately took very few pictures.

Nice trip!

Spring is in the air. I had the crew over Wednesday for a rigging day. I don’t like rigging leaders and lures on the boat when it’s time to fish it’s time to fish not rig stuff.

67D76CB9-8455-4159-A32B-570880211237.jpeg

Today I worked on new dock lines. The boat gets dunked as close to April 15th as possible.
I think I may be more worked up for this then November deer hunting….

B6399213-C50F-4561-8125-4755A61DBAAE.jpeg

I don't mind prepping, but I hate rigging!

Had a good morning until the water got muddy. Had three bigs hooked prior to 7:30. First one I only had on for around 5 seconds when it got off. Second one I had been fighting for about a minute or so when I lost it due to a guy casting across my line and tangling his spinner in my line. When I retied I put on a different bait and on the 2nd or 3rd cast, I hooked this one. Luckily no mishaps and I as able to get it in the net. Came in 3rd with a 7.54 rainbow.

They stocked 100 tagged trout from 2# up to the 10.45 that was caught and from what I heard, only 26 fish were weighed in. There are still a lot of big ones in the river.

Here is the winner. He quit fishing after he caught this one which is the biggest ever caught and weighed in for the tournament.

You guys are tearing em up!
I caught a 23.5 in bass a week ago. The boy caught a 21 incher yesterday. They are fat this yr! Mine had a girth of 20.375in.
Screenshot_20230401_192001_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230401_213331_Gallery.jpg