fishing reports

Took my "little mentor" (he's been coming fishing with me since he was 6 or 7 and 4' tall, he's now 20 and 6'3") out on a Keystone select section of stream near me (artificial lures only, stocked with bigger fish, and catch and release open all year). It was real cold and the water temp was probably still in the mid-30s. It started out pretty slow, but once the sun made a few appearances, we ended up doing pretty well.
We each caught one rainbow over 20" and probably about a dozen more besides. It was great to fish with this kid who I taught to fly fish 10 or so years ago, and now we are on about the same level. Can't wait for later in the year when the hatches start coming off!
IMG_5911[1].JPG
IMG_5921[1].JPG

We went on our annual trout trip this week. Caught and released a lot of fish in both N GA and Cherokee NC.

Here are a few pics of the bigger fish from our trip. Note that all but one were released and are still swimming in Helen.
Have a few more to post when I get them.

Unfortunately Logan backed out on me yesterday morning so I had to fish by myself, but it was a good day on Lanier.

Started in Shoal creek and fished one +/- 300 yard stretch from 7:00-10:00. Caught one on my second cast cranking, then several more on the crank bait. Bass had been popping shad most of the morning, so I switched to a small jerk bait and swim bait and landed another 6-7. While following the school I noticed some better sized bass way up under a dock, so I skipped my wacky rig up there and picked up several more off docks.

Went to Big creek for the rest of the day. Here I focused on key areas and only used a spinner bait. Fished stained to slightly stained water in 1-20' and landed around 20 more bass with the best one going 6-2. Best 5 would have been right around 18#. Not sure since I did not weigh them all. Think these were my best 5.

slamming the Bass..

I enjoy it, but would rather be in fishing inshore or in the gulf catching some saltwater fish.

Won’t help us catch fish but we’ll look good trying.

View attachment 42183

View attachment 42184
Nice transom Bill.

I go to cape may once or twice a year. Great spot down there. you see a pair of red old town peddle kayaks, give us a honk..... Im way overdue for some black drum fishing. Sounds your your hunting subs.........

Nice transom Bill.

I go to cape may once or twice a year. Great spot down there. you see a pair of red old town peddle kayaks, give us a honk..... Im way overdue for some black drum fishing. Sounds your your hunting subs.........

It used to kinda be a hidden gem. Once covid hit and the cities within 3 hours started looking for day trips, we’ll, the secrets out of the bag.

It used to kinda be a hidden gem. Once covid hit and the cities within 3 hours started looking for day trips, we’ll, the secrets out of the bag.
I have a good time there. Wife gets the beach. We sit at night by the storm drains at the beach and do fairly well for wait n bait fishing. Keep a surf rod with a pencil popper or bucktail handy.

I dont have the disposable income to get a nice boat like that, but was saving up to buy a place one town north of cape may on the bay. Walk a few doors down to the bay on foot, with the kayak, or the fat tire bike and fish for a little bit when I retire. Got enough dough for a center console with a kicker. Likely wont happen now. Wife doesn't want to pin a retirement home on the map because she wants to be near grandkids. 19,23,25 all living at home or next door at grandmas. So, no grandkids nor nor location of these grandkids. So, no air b n b income to help offset a retirment home purchase....... One of those cant see the forest from the trees.

Retirement plan was to use my coast guard licenses and buy a dinner cruise boat or maybe a party boat. Was on the Porgy 4 the 2nd to last time she sailed in NJ. Won the pot that day too. Blackfish are my favorite to eat with flounder a close second. My wife cooks some great bluefish though, make some sort of mayo coating.

I live near Red hook NY. The combination of work at home, fear of large cities with covid, fear of getting stuck in some 3rd worldish sandy beach spot with a covid quarantine or illness, then jump start it with a stimulus party check...... Perfect cocktail for wrecking local hot spots.

Took off yesterday and went to Lanier with Logan. Fished the area of Shoal creek I fished last Sunday and caught the ones in the pics below plus several others. Then we started fishing similar areas in shoal and bald ridge and picked up a few here and there. Think we ended up landing around 18 between the two of us. Fish came on jerk baits, spinner baits and wacky rigs.

20220417_164803.jpg

Weather was nice all weekend here in western Norway. Managed to catch a bunch of pollock on jigging spoons and a few cod in my nets. Also got a few crabs in my traps. Looking forward to filling the freezer with seafood this spring.

Fished the Hudson River and a Creek mouth area saturday and after work today. About 7 smallmouth bass on rooster tails, a rebel crayfish, and a monster small mouth and 1 striped bass on 1oz ratltrap silvewr / blue. Use the ratltrap to scout out herring. Sometimes a bass bites it while seeing if there some herring in there chasing out herring.

FL work trip, spent my off time casting flies to hungry fish.

5e8e6f74fe668be4eddcd422f5095eb0.jpg

5120050639b7a508b2269904681d1243.jpg

585f40e2a77971b39449375fa3a851fa.jpg

e9e2d5a9606d60cfa31ae12b31550a3b.jpg

36b1e8a6a8907fb6d9338d7a2b700093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic 1 and 3 jacks must have been fun on a fly rod. Canal tuna is what we called them. Their fighters.

Never caught a tarpon but I bet that was a pull also.

Pic 1 and 3 jacks must have been fun on a fly rod. Canal tuna is what we called them. Their fighters.

Never caught a tarpon but I bet that was a pull also.

Yeah those jacks are a blast, had one put me into the backing on my 11wt. Tarpon are lots of fun and jump a lot but pound-for-pound the jacks fight harder.

Those are some chunky crappies.

No longer sitting on blocks……

Now we need the surface temps to rise. I’m afraid the farm may suffer this summer. Hopefully 15 years of habitat work will let me coast a bit.

9AA9EA88-3F45-4570-B8C1-F1C504D1E6E0.jpeg