First cultipacker

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
On my way to look at my first cultipacker. It is 8’ tow behind and the seller says everything rolls as it should. Seller said it is cast iron. Only asking $150, so I am driving the hour and rolling the dice on it. Will post pics of it if I decide to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my way to look at my first cultipacker. It is 8’ tow behind and the seller says everything rolls as it should. Seller said it is cast iron. Only asking $150, so I am driving the hour and rolling the dice on it. Will post pics of it if I decide to buy it.

Well worth the drive if it’s in the condition seller says it’s in. Good luck

If it is in good shape buy it for $150. Here's the one we built to pull behind our ATV. Probably got $250 in it. Great piece of equipment to have. Not necessary but it does give you good seed to soil contact with ALL seed. Gets them off to a great start.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    849.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54

Look for cracks in the disks. Check the hitch connection to make sure it is in good stable connection.

An 8' is alot of weight to tow, make sure you have enough hp on what you will be pulling with.

Good luck.

Well, I brought it home and as we were unloading it the cast iron brackets that attached the tow mechanism snapped. So, now to figure out how to repair cast iron and get it working before planting season is here.

Might be easier to fab a new mount that can be welded as needed for future repairs.

Might be easier to fab a new mount that can be welded as needed for future repairs.

I am thinking the same. When/if it stops raining, I am going to take a closer look at it in the daylight (unloaded in the dark) and see what is what.

To be honest, a complete rebuild using the wheels, shaft, and bearing housings from your current setup might be the best route. Not that hard, and if you are creative, you can build a completely bolt-together unit that doesn't require any welding, IF your one of those folks who do not have the equipment or skill to weld a new frame.

Never heard of a hitch being cast iron--should be able to put on a gusset or two for bracing if need be, otherwise just grind out the material where it came apart so you have good steel and get it welded. Should be a simple 5 minute weld job. Do you have any pictures?

if you have a GOOD machine shop near by they can fix cast iron, but not a lot of shops do it
but it can be fixed
that or if its a name brand packer, maybe can actually find parts for it
never know?
lots of tractor salvage yards have these things

My neighbor has a guy who can weld it. Going to grind the bolts off tomorrow, too rusty to just break free. Take the brackets to this guy and hope he can weld them solid. If that doesn’t work, I will have the brackets fabbed and go from there. Shouldn’t be a big deal, but you never know.
I will take some pics tomorrow before we work on it.

The parts alone were worth $150. You did good broken hitch or not.

The parts alone were worth $150. You did good broken hitch or not.

My neighbor has a guy who can weld it. Going to grind the bolts off tomorrow, too rusty to just break free. Take the brackets to this guy and hope he can weld them solid. If that doesn’t work, I will have the brackets fabbed and go from there. Shouldn’t be a big deal, but you never know.
I will take some pics tomorrow before we work on it.

Like Bill said ... parts alone are well worth the trip. For $150 you have now acieved the learning most of us experience.

Forget using it this year. Work with your buddy to disassemble and inspect. You can rebuild and resize to your needs for next spring.

Not sure of your equipment, but you ain't gonna pull something that heavy with an ATV for to long. I tried pulling a true 6' farm cultipacker with my 24 hp Mule and it burned out the differential.

I have a 18hp B1700 that may pull it, but also have access to a 45 hp tractor. If all else fails, I can put a drop hitch on my truck and pull it.

Well, it does look like it is going to be more of a winter project and not something I will be able to use this fall.
IMG_5403.JPGIMG_5408.JPGIMG_5406.JPGIMG_5404.JPGIMG_5405.JPG

That'll weld up just fine nickle welding rod or not. Just be sure to pre heat it and cool it slowly.

It looks like some work but it'll be worth it in the end, good luck.

Thanks. I have always wanted one and am hoping that didn’t cloud my judgement in jumping on this one.

Looks kinda familiar. Looks like the type that has wood bushings and I believe the tongue was originally wood too. It actually works pretty well although have not done much rebuild on mine since it only gets used on a few small plots every 4-5 years. Really helped with getting my clover and other small seeds to germinate well. I used to finish by dragging with a chain link fence but got spotty coverage, think got a fair amount of tiny seeds too deep. The routine of discing, planting bigger seeds, cultipack, spread the really small seeds, and cultipack a 2nd time gives much better results on clover.

Your bearing covers look a bit battered, might have to come up with some substitutes if you keep most of the original setup. Maybe some pvc end caps with some tabs addedDSC01503 (Large).JPGDSC00777 (Large).JPG

Yep, it had wood bushings, but they are rotten now and I removed what was left of them, which wasn’t much.